• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket- no sign nearby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meancupjoe

What is the name of your state? NJ
I was given a parking ticket for alternate side of the street violation. The nearest parking sign was at least 140 yards (420 feet) away. Can I successfully fight this? Are there any rules on the placement of parking signs? This was in Brant Beach, NJ.

No visible parking sign

Yeppers. Take a picture if you can. Failing that call DMV and simply ask them. You sound like you have a case for unproperly marked or unmarked area for parking. That's cause for Dismissal. What's the statute on the ticket?

"They say Lady Justice is blind but i do believe the old girl is peeking."

That one sign per block rule is right. In fact, it seems to be kind of a national standard (not counting exceptions). It's the same here in my state (missouri). It's also the same in New York. And it basically amounts to this: YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHECKING THE ENTIRE BLOCK AND READING ALL THE SIGNS BEFORE YOU PARK. Otherwise, hello ticket: failure to obey a Title 39 Offense. That ONE sign counts as an area being properly marked. Bummer, i know. So based on that, you HAVE NO CASE, i'd say now. Altho, check the ticket for other things that could possibly get it dismissed: wrong name and/or make of car, no signature by officer, wrong license plate number, etc...examine that ticket well, the officer could have missed something.

"They say Lady Justice is blind but i do believe the old girl is peeking."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">