• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renewal permit for B&B NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bonnie walsh

What is the name of your state? NY

Is there a requirement for renewal regarding a permit in NYS regarding a B&B, say every 5 years, or is the initial permit the only one needed?

HomeGuru

bonnie walsh said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Is there a requirement for renewal regarding a permit in NYS regarding a B&B, say every 5 years, or is the initial permit the only one needed?

**A: and when you called the B&B permit office, what did they tell you?

B

bonnie walsh

Renewal Permit for B&B NY

And herein lies the rub. I asked the zoning officer. It was a foreign answer. I purchased their zoning book. Nothing mentioned. I do know that this town is not keeping pace. When I asked why a variance wasn't required when the permit was applied for, since the property didn't meet the required lot width and setback, his reply was that it was a judgment call. I then stated that someone needs to be accountable. A meeting with the zoning board of appeals went no better.

FarmerJ

Bonnie in most business where any kind of license is required locally once they have it all they must do is pay a fee every year to maintain it . IF the business is located in a area that has little or NO local laws regulating the business the business is often grandfathered in to any new ordinances that are created so towns avoid being sued . That also includes any type of business that catches a town by surprise like adult oriented business. If your towns local ords are vague or dont address a issue and your county has nothing written to cover what the town hasnt then you can only influence NEW laws that cover future business . but for now you will have to use only what ever local law you find .

HomeGuru

bonnie walsh said:
And herein lies the rub. I asked the zoning officer. It was a foreign answer. I purchased their zoning book. Nothing mentioned. I do know that this town is not keeping pace. When I asked why a variance wasn't required when the permit was applied for, since the property didn't meet the required lot width and setback, his reply was that it was a judgment call. I then stated that someone needs to be accountable. A meeting with the zoning board of appeals went no better.
**A: there is more to this story. What do you have in writing from the appropriate governmental agencies.

B

bonnie walsh

The rest of the post is on August 16 [B&B operating on private road]. If I'm reading you correctly regarding 'governmental agencies', I have the deed of the B&B and, of course, the zoning book from the town.

HomeGuru

bonnie walsh said:
The rest of the post is on August 16 [B&B operating on private road]. If I'm reading you correctly regarding 'governmental agencies', I have the deed of the B&B and, of course, the zoning book from the town.
**A: so what did you find out?

B

bonnie walsh

Renewal Permit for B&B NYS

That the deed showed that ingress & egress [period] to a lakeshore cottage had been given over 50 years ago, at which time it was a seasonal cottage; and that the Town lives in the past with its zoning laws regarding private property.

HomeGuru

bonnie walsh said:
That the deed showed that ingress & egress [period] to a lakeshore cottage had been given over 50 years ago, at which time it was a seasonal cottage;

**A: so the deed actually stated "that the Town lives in the past with its zoning laws regarding private property", somehow I find that hard to believe.

B

bonnie walsh

No, no, no. There were two parts to the answer. The first part was regarding the deed, the second part, separated by the semi-colon, referred to the zoning laws. After doing research online regarding town laws, our town is not keeping pace with the vast majority throughout the state. Most communities no longer recognize a B&B as a home occupation; and since this B&B is operating on a private road [owned by me], we feel that a variance or special use permit should have been required for the addition, the permit, and the fact that its a non-confoming lot.

HomeGuru

bonnie walsh said:
No, no, no. There were two parts to the answer. The first part was regarding the deed, the second part, separated by the semi-colon, referred to the zoning laws. After doing research online regarding town laws, our town is not keeping pace with the vast majority throughout the state. Most communities no longer recognize a B&B as a home occupation; and since this B&B is operating on a private road [owned by me], we feel that a variance or special use permit should have been required for the addition, the permit, and the fact that its a non-confoming lot.

**A: ok, thanks for sharing your feelings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">