• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I pursue this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ruthie123

What is the name of your state? Texas
I would like to know if I have a case for wrongful termination or anything under the Whistleblower act. The case involves my job being terminated almost immediately after I questioned a superior about illegal (federal) accounting practices of a nonprofit organization I was working for. The organization I worked for is not large (less than 4 FT employees) but their nonprofit status is through a very large state-wide organization. Prior to termination, no written or verbal warning was given. Thanks for any information you can give.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the very large majority of states, whistleblower protection is not enacted until you contact the outside agency that has regulatory authority for the illegality. You do not get protection from retaliation for internal complaints.

To the best of my knowledge, your state is not one of the very few that does protect internal complaints, but you are free to contact a local attorney to see if any statute of which I am not aware, exists.

BTW, nothing in the law requires an employer to provide either written or verbal warnings in ANY situation, unless there is a bona fide contract that guarantees them. The size of the company may or may not be relevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">