• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Repayment Question - Does it hold ground?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stangmanct

What is the name of your state? CT

Hi All,

I know this is a dumb question...I participate in my company's tuition reimb. program. I have found a new job and will be leaving. The form i signed stated that if i left, I would have to pay them back 50% of what I was provided over the last 12 months. Ok, so I understand this.

The check comes from a scholarship company that manages the program. How does a company program like this work? Does my company actually pay money towards this program, is it a tax write off for them or what? How can THEY ask me for money back that is coming from another place? I know its a dumb question, makes me wonder if this is more of a scare tactic to try to keep people around, whether they can really do that?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

AJr

Beth3

If sounds like your company uses an outside administrator to manage their tuition reimbursement benefit. Lots of companies, particularly larger ones, outsource various administration pieces. As this is a benefit offered by your employer, I can assure you that THEY provide the tuition funds, even if a third party administers the benefit.

It's also quite common for employers to include a repayment agreement in the event an employee receives tuition monies and departs within a specified period of time following.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">