• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backing out of parking lot and other driver opens door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BlueEydTiger

What is the name of your state? WA

Hi everyone, please lend me some advice, here's the situation:

I'm heading out of the local fast food place. I jump in my car, turn on the engine and put my car into reverse. I look left, right, left, I see another vehicle backing into the parking space next to me, so I wait for him to pull in so I can back out, I look behind me to back out and I see 2 pedestrians walking behind me, so I wait for them to pass and I back out and the other vehicle has it's door open. My drivers side mirrior catches the rear driver side door of his vehicle because his friend opened the door and now the door will not close properly. I waited for the police to show...because the kid was 17 and his mom told him to call the police :)

The officer gives neither of us a ticket and says "since it happened in a parking lot, it's more or less no mans zone and we should try and settle it between ourselves" and the officer drives off. Well in my opinion since my reverse lights were on when he backed in, I have the right of way and they should have waited to open their doors. The mother of the kid driving wants me to pay $600 to repair the door and I'm not really in the best financial situation and if I don't have to pay $600 I wont :)

Review
I'm already in my car with reverse lights on, Kid backs into the parking space, I'm looking behind me to back out and waiting for pedestrians to cross and not expecting an open door when I try to back out.

You Are Guilty

BlueEydTiger said:
Review
I'm already in my car with reverse lights on, Kid backs into the parking space, I'm looking behind me to back out and waiting for pedestrians to cross and not expecting an open door when I try to back out.

If the door was open before you started moving backwards, you are on the hook for the repairs. If you were moving when he opened the door, you can tell them to kiss off.

Either way, you get no police report because it occurred on private property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">