• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape and NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmcin

What is the name of yur state? New Jersey
I am a counseling psychology grad student and I am working on a case. I have obtained consult from others in the psych feild but I am looking for more input. Here's the case:
I am working with a 15 year old girl who admitted that she is having sex with a 27 year old man. She was previously involved in drugs and was figthing a lot but since he does not approve, she has really cut back on this behavior. Her mother has asked for info about what was said during our sessions. I am not sure whether or not I am required to report this behavior to the client's mother or to the authorities or whether I can keep it confidential.
Any advice?

rmet4nzkx

If this is serious, you have no business working directly with clients. You obviously do not know the required law associated with your aspired profession and are working without appropriate supervision. Please call CPS at :
New Jersey (NJ)
(800) 792-8610
(800) 835-5510 (TDD/Hearing Impaired)
after that call the dean or your advisor at your graduate school and advise them of you situation and seek their guidance. Do not do anything further until an appropriately licensed person takes this case. You may need to seek counsel of an attorney.

D

dmcin

This is for a paper and not my actual client. There is no standard regarding whether or not this needs to be reported. It is purely on a case by case basis and regardless of what you obviously believe does not meet the standards set by my profession for breeaching confidentiality and reporting to CPS. CPS would be able to do very little in this case. If I chose to report this, it would be entirely at my discretion. I am not sharing what I already learned regarding the case because I was interested in what other people thought - not that I would necessarily abide by what they said. I am still interested in what others think. Regardless of what you may think, this gives me more insight into what others, outside of the profession, would do. In case you are not aware, it helps to look at the situation from many people's perspecitve.

Last edited:

JETX

dmcin said:
This is for a paper and not my actual client.
In that case.... we don't do homework. However, I will give you a hint: look at your states laws as to 'statutory requirement to report child abuse'.

D

dmcin

In NJ, the requirement for child abuse involves abuse by or being allowed by someone who is responsible for the child. The standard of the profession requires that the individual in "imminent danger". I'm also aware that at least in NJ very few cases of statutory rape (2nd degree sexual assault in NJ) are actually prosecuted and even fewer are actually convicted. The most likely occurance if I report is that I ruin the therapeutic relationship and nothing happens to the boyfriend. I'm weighing all of my options.

JETX

dmcin said:
In NJ, the requirement for child abuse involves abuse by or being allowed by someone who is responsible for the child. The standard of the profession requires that the individual in "imminent danger". I'm also aware that at least in NJ very few cases of statutory rape (2nd degree sexual assault in NJ) are actually prosecuted and even fewer are actually convicted. The most likely occurance if I report is that I ruin the therapeutic relationship and nothing happens to the boyfriend. I'm weighing all of my options.
And of course, that is NOT true. And though my original copy of this post provided ALL the answers, I have revised it to only include the statutory citations so that YOU can do your own homework.

New Jersey Statutes:
9:6-1. Abuse, abandonment, cruelty and neglect of child; what constitutes.
9:6-8.10. Report of abuse
9:6-8.14. Violations including failure to make report; disorderly person

Damn, now there it is.... I did your homework for you.....

Last edited:
D

dmcin

I appreciate your insight but I have read the entire law and still am not so sure that I am a required reporter in this case. I'm not sure if you are aware but the standards of my profession require that I maintain confidentiality unless I'm legally required not to or if the client (or someone else) is in clear and imminent danger.
The client turns 16 in a few months and that is the legal age of consent in NJ - does this effect your viewpoint?

I'm writing again because you seem very opinionated on the matter and maybe something you say will make this more clear to me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Jet's an attorney.

The child's turning 16 has no bearing whatsoever on the legality of a man 12 years her senior having sex with her. That "your profession" doesn't require you to report that sort of abuse says a hell of a lot about your "profession". And your reticence to do so says a lot about you. Do all kids a favor and find another field.

Mom of 2 in NJ.

rmet4nzkx

It is not a matter of opinion, it is the law and you are a mandated reporter whether you like it or not. You call CPS then it is out of your hands. Period! You have already done the worst possibly thing you could do for your theraputic relationship, your career and potential clients. After you call CPS talk to your advisor and ask for guidance, tell them what you have allowed happen to this child! Contact a defense attorney or the insurance carrier for your placement. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

HomeGuru

rmet4nzkx said:
It is not a matter of opinion, it is the law and you are a mandated reporter whether you like it or not. You call CPS then it is out of your hands. Period! You have already done the worst possibly thing you could do for your theraputic relationship, your career and potential clients. After you call CPS talk to your advisor and ask for guidance, tell them what you have allowed happen to this child! Contact a defense attorney or the insurance carrier for your placement. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

**A: hey this thread is a homework question. Calm down and take a chill pill.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
HG - thanks for pointing that out. I missed it on the first read. OP needs to learn to write more clearly.

HomeGuru

The writer can't write more clearly. Don't you know he's from New Jersey and a counseling psychology grad student?

rmet4nzkx

HomeGuru said:
The writer can't write more clearly. Don't you know he's from New Jersey and a counseling psychology grad student?
It was obvious from his first post that he cannot write at a graduate level or even spell "feild" let alone be qualified for it. No need for a chill pill, the answer is the same, real life or case study, only since he doesn't get it, he most definately needs out of the profession if he doesn't understand the first expectation for the FIELD eg. the best welfare of the client!
If this is a case study the answer is short and sweet and no discussion. PERIOD! Call CPS and get supervision & document, document, document

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
HomeGuru said:
Some of us in NJ are able to write coherently. Although I'm not a counseling psychology grad student, so maybe that makes a difference.

D

dmcin

Whether we like it or not, according to New Jersey law, a 16 year old can consent to have sex with anyone that they please. I am not saying that I like this (I have 3 children of my own) but it's a fact. It's also true that (whether we like it or not) the client will likely deny the relationship and no charges will be filed. I have decided to include in my resolution involving the mother since at least from what I read in the case the mother seems supportive. I also considered asking the teenager to consider her options for engaging in a sexual relationship (not just this one but a sexual relationship with anyone). It isn't aganist the law in NJ for her to engage in a sexual relationship with someone her own age but I have to question her reasons for doing this. Just to let you know, the case is more complicated then the part that I had originally written - the girl was sexually abused by her father in the past and hopes to get pregnant. As much as you may not understand this, this is why I am in this profession. Many times my hands are tied legally and I get to hear about horible things that kids do. But the fact that they share this info with me is the first step to helping them turn their lives in a more positive direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">