• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EMANCIPATION please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cOoXki3

When I was 7 my parents divorced. Since then I have lived in 8 different places with 12 different people. My Dad - for reasons I do not want to discuss - is not suitable to live with. This has absolutly NOTHING to do with me just not liking his rules. My mother as of now has NO rights with both my sister and I. She is Bi-Polar, Manic Depressive, Post Tramatic Stress Symtomatic.. among other things. I am tired of being moved around and no longer desire to live with family. Family is killing me. My father only wants me to prove a point to my mother and win the longgoing 'battle' with her. I was living with several families and found a family willing to give me a lease. I am completly capable of holding down a job. I am independent and motivated. If I set my mind to something it WILL get done. The family is willing to let me rent out a room and live in their house. I do not need to live with a family.. I just simply do not desire to be living on my own. My Dad doesn't care what I do but will not let me leave the house until he says I 'have a plan.' I have a Guardian Ad Litem and she is willing to let me do what I need. However, when I was living with my mom over 2 years ago, I was placed in Foster Care. If I leave my Dad's custody to go get emancipated.. will I be placed back into DSS custody? I have no worries about supporting myself - I have done it before and I can definatly do it now. I just do not want to be placed back in foster care.

Can anyone help me or does anyone have ANY advice at all?

You can also email me because I am not sure of when I will have acess to a computer..

[email protected]

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, for starters, noone can tell you anything at all without knowing your state. You know, the question you deleted when you started posting. It would also help to have your age.

C

cOoXki3

I am currently living in Georgia.. I have been living here for aprx. 3 weeks. Up until then - and the family I would be living with - is located in North Carolina.

I am 16 years old..

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Too many kids have the idea that "emancipation" means, "not living with parents". It doesn't. It means that you have or are able to demonstrate that you are COMPLETELY able to support yourself. On your own. That means, not living with someone else.

Off the top of my head I don't know if your state permits emancipation of a minor - not all states do. But in the states that do, you have to have your parents permission AND the DEMONSTRATED ability to support yourself completely; rent, food, transportation, utilities, medical expenses, movies, shampoo, shoes, etc.

Can you do that?

HunterDJ

When I was 16 I was emancipated. I still lived on and off with my parents and I held down a job. I was a drug addict and an alcoholic ( I have been in recovery for 11 yrs now) My parents and I felt that it was better for me to be on my own since I was going to do what I wanted anyhow and we did not get along the greatest. Anyhow, You will find if you get emancipated no matter how bad your family might be you will find that you will always find your way back to your roots. Please think about something you only have 2 yrs left till you are 18. It can be a long drug out process. Once you are emancipated you are an adult. You say "The family is willing to let me rent out a room and live in their house. I do not need to live with a family.. I just simply do not desire to be living on my own." Ok then what makes a diffrence if you are living there or with family? Doesnt the family treat you right when you are living with them? I apologize if I am seeming rude but if I had to do it over I would have stayed a kid with family. My mom now has cancer and I will tell you alot of things I look back on and said this was unbearable really was not that bad. If you are not abused and you are being taken care of by people who love you then stay a kid for a bit longer just remember you never get that back. I normally dont post to these but I had to to this one. My heart goes out to you but I remember the loneliness when I needed someone and I had to face it alone because I was now an "adult" SCARY trust me on this one. :) Just thought I would send some friendly advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">