• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overdue taxes on rundown house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sonny6

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington State. Thanks for the info so far, my wife is one of three sisters inheriting their dad's house, no other assets, and attorney fees, funeral expenses, depending on a house sale. Younger sister is executrix, she has a personal history of foreclosure, not paying bills, left state to avoid gambling bills, etc. There is two years unpaid taxes on their dad's house, we fear that executrix will allow it to go into tax auction in January 2005. I don't really want to put my money into this venture (considering the condition of the house and the 3rd (psycho) sister living in it). What responsibility does the executrix have to keep the house out of tax foreclosure?

Dandy Don

How much are the taxes? If executrix wants to sell the home, if there is not enough money in the estate to pay the taxes now, it would be best for all heirs for anyone else in the family to come up with the money now to prevent it from going into foreclosure and then whoever paid the taxes can get reimbursed from the profits of the home sale.

If home goes into foreclosure, there will only be added attorney fees.

Does psycho sister understand that she will have to move out before the home sale can be completed?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

sonny6

I was afraid that was the case (i.e. I'm going to get stuck with taxes). Pyscho sister thinks she can stay in the house for five years (nothing in the will about that). Pyscho sister has no job, she was living off their dad's social security and an elder homecare allowance from the state. Now she has no income and a car payment (not to mention things like electricity and food).

Dandy Don

Contact the county assessor's office to find out the details about what will happen if the taxes go into default. I'm not exactly sure if a third party comes up with the overdue money whether they would get the home or just exactly what it is they would get.

S

sonny6

I am pursuing the tax issue with the county (taxes are due august 31), the foreclosure person is on vacation this week. The taxes, total, are over $10,000, but you don't have to pay delinquient taxes. The attorney for the estate's response was "taxes are normally paid at the time the estate is settled." There are 3 parcels, two building lots and the lot with a house.,our point was the two building lots should be put up for sale and the house (with psycho sister) be handled later. Can we force the executrix to do anything?

S

sonny6

The saga continues: Executrix is intimindated by psycho sister and probably will not do anything until we force the issue, which we will. Next issue: Psycho sister lives in family home and had power of attorney for their dad. Since she was living off his social security, she has no motivation to stop the s.s. payments. If she continues to receive his social security (she has no qualms about legality, only what is best for her), will this affect the estate?

T

taxlady@pacbell

Back Taxes

Where is the attorney in this scenario? It would seem you could petition the court to order the taxes to be paid or at least to notify the tax assessor to hold off on foreclosure, because the estate is not settled. The tax assessor could file a lien against the property, so that when the property is sold, they receive payments out of the proceeds. Why has no one petitioned the court to sell the property?? and proceed with closure of the estate???

S

sonny6

The attorney is hired by the executrix with whom we do not speak to (long story). Thanks for the idea about the tax lien, foreclosure won't happen until 2006, by which time I plan to control the estate if not settled. Our main idea, as there are no cash assets: one house, two vacant lots; we are trying to push for sale of the vacant lots to pay overdue taxes which are accumulating interest and penalties. What responsibility does the executrix have to keep the estate solvent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">