• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cat taken for Rabies testing and then Lost.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarolinNC

What is the name of your state? NC

About 3 weeks ago, my son and I both were bitten by a stray cat. Afterwards, I called the Rabies Hotline in my county to request that the cat be taken away for testing. A trap was brought out to my house and the cat caught. 3 days after being bitten, an Animal Control officer came and removed the cat from the cage and put it into a steel cage and took it away. The officer was informed that this cat had bitten at least 2 people and he said it would be watched.

About a week later, the Health dept called to see if the cat had been caught. I told them that it had and was at the Animal shelter being watched. They said they'd call me and let me know the cat's situation after a waiting period.

I hadn't heard in a while, so on Monday of this week, I called the Health dept. I was informed that the cat was lost and maybe it was just paperwork. I then called the Animal shelter and was informed that "the cat got away from the officer and that it was being investigated".

Now, according to the Health dept, my son and I have to go to the emergency room for rabies shots. I am told that they are expensive.

If they had kept the cat and the cat had been found to have rabies, I would have understood having to pay for the shots. But, the cat was lost by the county. Not only that, but they neglected to inform me of this until I called. Shouldn't they be responsible for paying for our treatment?

C

CarolinNC

Update on Lost Cat situation

Since I posted, I have had the entire series of rabies shots. I have since tried to put it out of my mind until yesterday when a strange thing happened. I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to mention it here.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in the back of my house on the phone with my son. I thought I heard someone, but for a second thought it might be the TV. I heard it again and walked around to the front of my house and there was animal control officer from the county standing in my livingroom. Needless to say, I didn't hear him knock or enter. It very much surprised me and I thought something had happened to my husband. The officer proceded to tell me that he had knocked and had gotten no answer and since there was no car in the driveway and the front door was open, storm door was closed but not locked, he had entered. Then he asked me if I still had the animal trap that the county had put out at our house. I told him no, that someone back in August (2 months prior) had picked up the trap with the cat inside. That they had lost the cat and I had to have a series of rabies shots. He said they had no record of the trap being picked up and did I remember who had come out to pick up the cat? I told him no, but I remembered the 2 dogs that were present the day the cat was picked up. He left. After I had calmed down some, I began to think back. I am pretty sure that the officer that entered my house is the same officer that picked up the cat and lost it. When I called the sheriff's office before my rabies shots, I was told the matter was under investigation.

I am extremely puzzled by this. First, the animal control office leaves a trap. When the cat is caught, a control officer comes to the house and picks up the cat and the trap and takes it away. They then proceed to lose the cat and I have to have rabies shots. 2 months later, an animal control officer walks into my house to ask me if I still have the animal trap. Is this a little strange?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">