• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Person Totals My Car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Starayne

confused: FL; A vehicle running a red light recently smashed into my car totalling it. I was told by an officer at the scene that I had nothing to worry about, as he'd witnessed the whole thing and I did nothing wrong. It took about a week for my lawyer to inform me that the persons insurance that hit me was minimal, meaning all that would be payed for was my car, despite the injuries to myself and passenger. Although I was worried about potential medical bills piling up, I was relieved that my car would be taken care of as I'd just payed it off this year. After going through all the paperwork (as the lawyers suggested I had the perfect case), I found out that this individuals insurance had been cancelled a month prior due to nonpayment. My car is a total loss and my insurance is only covering my medical bills up to 10k, which are quickly rising. The lawyers say there is nothing they can do because there is no insurance to go after. I had to drop out of school because I can't work and have no transportation. We are finacially suffering. Am I to understand that a person can cause all this damage and continue on with they're lives eventhough they were cited at the scene and lied to the police about insurance coverage? Someone please help me. It's been a month, I'm still in pain and out of work. And I just dont know where to turn!
Sincerely Desparate,
Starayne

R

riverposie

good luck

welcome to the real system...this is how it works...it happened to me...i am not from your state, but it happened to me and all i could do is have the persons drivers license suspended and he outright told everyone, he didnt care, he would drive without one...since then i saw the light...i dropped my insurance too, and drive illegally without any so if i ever casuse an accident the same will happen..i dont own anything so there is nothing thay can take..i save lots of money not paying car insurance and i tell everybody i know to do the same..what a shame what this world has come to....the honest person looses...

gryndor

riverposie said:
since then i saw the light...i dropped my insurance too, and drive illegally without any so if i ever casuse an accident the same will happen..i dont own anything so there is nothing thay can take..i save lots of money not paying car insurance and i tell everybody i know to do the same...
I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

Gryn

gryndor

You Are Guilty said:
Don't you remember? This is the guy who lives in a van (or trailer) "down by the river". :D
Oh lordie lordie! I see what you mean... a true pioneer of the human spirit indeed. We should raise all our children to be like this individual...

Good Grief

You Are Guilty

One could, but to what purpose? If someone is deliberately making themself live in poverty, what are you going to get? Their one pair of overalls? Their still? The wheels off their trailer?

I'd personally just go hire Mr. Louisville Slugger, Esq. ;)

S

Starayne

Lousiville Slugger

:eek: FL; You're probably right and pretty funny too! Don't think for a second that I havn't considered that! But everyone I've spoken to still thinks it could be worth a shot because if a judgement is passed against him, anything that comes his way in the future (or so I'm told); he may have to fork over a percentage.

S

Starayne

Please Reconsider!

riverposie said:
welcome to the real system...this is how it works...it happened to me...i am not from your state, but it happened to me and all i could do is have the persons drivers license suspended and he outright told everyone, he didnt care, he would drive without one...since then i saw the light...i dropped my insurance too, and drive illegally without any so if i ever casuse an accident the same will happen..i dont own anything so there is nothing thay can take..i save lots of money not paying car insurance and i tell everybody i know to do the same..what a shame what this world has come to....the honest person looses...
\
I don't think that lowering myself to the persons standards that hit me is the answer. I can understand the resentment but this has made me realize that I need to go get uninsured moterists and full coverage to protect myself rather than making matters worse by driving totally uninsured! What in the world are you gonna do if someone comes along and hits you again?

C

caz

I would say there would be a way to pretty much make the person your worker (slave) at $5.15 an hour of anywork you can throw at them until all is paid for but you don't pay them it's just like each hour they work for you is them giving you $5.15. Or something were the gov. forces them into picking trash along the road for whatever rate until they can afford to pay you back. I think this is the way of justice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">