• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drellim47

I signed a non-compete with my former employer that states I cannot work for any clients of this company. I am now considering a job that I would be working for a consulting firm doing work for a client of my former company. My new employer would be the consulting firm and they would pay all my bills. Would I be breaking my non-compete agreement even though I am not doing work for the client directly?

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Beth3

Would I be breaking my non-compete agreement even though I am not doing work for the client directly? That depends on the terms of the non-compete you signed but unless it was very poorly written, the answer is almost certainly is yes.

Perhaps you should re-read the non-compete and see how it defines "working" for clients. I would imagine it covers pretty much every possible scenario unless it was drafted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. If you still have questions, then you'll need to show the document to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">