• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BaronM

South Carolina

here's the problem. i shared an apartment with two friends, lindsay and cindy. the cable was put in my name but the bill was split three ways, verbal agreement. i moved out oct2001,to another city, but :eek: let them keep the bill in my name, so they could avoid paying another deposit to have it put in their name. well, cindy moved out and julie (another friend of mine) moved in, and they continued paying the bill. lindsay moved out around oct2003 and julie finally, in nov2003. she called to tell me she paid the last payment, but the cable company wouldnt let her turn in the boxes without me being there, but i let time pass and forgot about it. i finally thought about it the other day and called the cable company to make sure everything was taken care of, but was informed of a balance of 588 dollars being sent to collections in dec2003. i called julie and she said the cable boxes were destroyed in a car wreck in mar2004. so what do i do now? about the money, and the collection agency?

BL

Pay the bill, get a receipt .

Send proof of Payment to the Credit Reporting Agencies .
You have a right to submit a letter of explanation to the CRAs and have in entered as part of your report , so anyone seeing the letter can consider it .
request the CRAs to enter the letter into your files. Don't forget to sign & date it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">