• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Sends a Threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Resiemor

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

I have had an on going problem with my neighbor since we have moved in. This year on:

July 30th - Neighbor sprays Weed-be-gone all over my raspberries, fern, rose and a few other things -- killing them out right. She flat denies it. I didn't see her. File Complaint.

Aug. 5th -- Neighbor hacks away at my rose bush. I don't see her again. File Complaint.

Aug. 15 -- Neighbor hacks off small young tree top on my property -- about 7 feet tall -- and throws into my bushes. I don't complain.

August 24 -- I receive a letter from her attorney telling me that he is representing her. He tells me there is clearly problems between us but he is not pointing fingers or guessing at blame. He tells me to stop calling the police and reporting her -- because if I don't -- he will advise his client to seek a "harassment restraining order" against me.

I laugh at this because I haven't done anything to her. I don't talk to her, say anything to her, etc. Also, her property has not been damaged the entire time I have lived here. I have a list a mile long: black top smeared all over my dock (didn't witness), tires slashed (didn't witness), threats of violence from her husband (filed on record) etc. I only get property damage when she is in town -- for seven years now. For half the year, she is in Florida!!

I called the police tonight and showed them the letter and asked them to press charges on her for harassment. The letter is harassing me, yet the police officer wouldn't press charges.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Police suggested I put up cameras, and INFORM her of them so she can't say that I "baited her into doing something." He also told me to put up NO TRESPASSING SIGNS all over the fence line.

Thanks in advance.
Renee

R

Resiemor

What is harassment?

I'm just curious...is it harassment when her lawyer writes me a letter telling me that if I don't stop calling the police and reporting her (when I have legitimate property damage), they will file a harassment restraining order?

Of course, I can call the police whenever I want -- so this is just an attempt to intimidate me without any legitimate purpose (i.e. Wisconsin' state statutue definition of HARASSMENT).

I have not violated this woman once in any way. I have not spoken to her. She hasn't had any vandalism. She has no reports against me except one.

The one report she has is a phone call from her to her friend the police chief. In this report, he says she says that I am "emotionally and mentally unstable" yet the report is not based on actions of mine -- because I haven't done anything. I was not even informed of this. It is just her opinion on paper - yet when I ask them to do the same about her -- they refuse!! I find this harassment as well but no police officer will arrest her on any harassment charges. Period.

Where can I go to get someone to help me enforce my rights here?

Thank you.

Ummonx

dont think you have a case yet

your going to have to catch her in the act. a simple web cam will do, pointing out of one of the windows. they usually come with software to save the images.

R

Resiemor

Wi Ss

Wisconsin state statute says:

Harrassment "(b) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which harass or intimidate the person and which serve no legitimate purpose."

Isn't the letter from her attorney inimidating me when it is telling me if I call the cops again -- he is going to file a restraining order? They are attempting to scare me, without a just or legitimate purpose.

If I haven't been in contact with her and she has no reports against me, and I have not done anything to her -- how can he threaten a "harassment restraining order"?

The purpose of his letter is baseless, and furthermore it serves no legitimate purpose.

Do you agree or not?
Thank you for your time.

R

Resiemor

Thank you.

Thank you. I have no desire for a civil suit. I was just curious if this was harassment from a legal technical point of view. Nothing more.

Much thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">