• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting, need questions answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mph2k3

One of my family member got caught shoplifting at JC Penny in California today. This is a $300 item. She forgot the item on the stroller and walked out of the store. She explained it to them but they didn't believe her. They told her they have everythign on video tapes. She told me they were very hostile toward her in the office. She doesn't understand english and tried her best to answer all her questions. At one point, she was told to sign some papers
and they wouldn't explain what they are when she asked. She then asked if she can wait until I arrive to read the papers and they no. She ended up didn't sign anything. This is the 1st petty theft citation she received and has never been arrested or committed any crime.

The police was called but released her after taking her photo, id info., and issued her a petty theft citation. They gave the video tapes to the officers. We don't know what to do at this point and we are greatly appreciated if someone can answer the following questions for us.

1) What are our options? what do we need to do before the trial?
2) Do we need a lawyer at the court date or consult one before then?
3) How should she pleas at court?
4) Since she doesn't speak or understand english very well, can I go to court with her? If not, Can we request an interpreter on the court date?
5) What type of crime is this and how long does it stay on her record?

Thank you in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">