• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

madinil

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? illinois

i need advice on where to go next. i live in a cul de sac. all of the neighbors behind me have a higher elevation in their houses than i and then the neighbors in front of me do as well. i am the lower elevation. specifically the neighbors behind have run their sub pump hose into the corner of their lot and then their water is draining out about 15 feet from my foundation. i have a basement that is flooding and i beleive that this is their fault. i have asked them to move their drainage hose and they agreed to do so but they did not do it. i contacted the village and was advised that there is no drainage plan for my area and that since the land is grated that way, the drainage should go through my yard. i was also advised to hire a landscaper to come out and dig a swale through my yard to fix the problem at my expense. when the house was built, the builder advised me that there was to be a swale through my back yard for drainage but they never came back to put it in. they advised me that the natural flow of the water would be in the neighbors yards to the left and right of me. at that time, that was fine because the lots on both sides were not developed. once those houses were built and they landscaped, the drainage problem began. the village had advised me that i cannot go back to the builder because we have been there too long. the village wants me to foot the bill but i disagree at having to dig a mote around my yard to stop my basement from flooding and why should i pay for a landscaper to come out when it is all going to be washed away anyways. there is a great deal of erosion around my house now and i am taking on water whenever we get alot of rain. where do i go now? should the village be responsible for fixing the drainage, is the neighbor who's sump pump that is pumping water into my yard responsible? can i go back to the builder or the developer as it has been 5 years since our house was built? thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">