• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salmonella at camp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonyberk

What is the name of your state? California
Our daughter recently returned from a two week stay at summer camp. We were called on 8/19 and told she had been suffering from diarrhea for 3 days and was taken to the clinic in town where a stool sample was taken. We were told she was feeling better and participating again in camp activities. We picked her up on Saturday, 8/21 and she was looking pale, tired and had lost some weight, which we attributed to the diarrhea and the heat. We were consulted by the camp nurse who told us that several children had suffered from 'some GI problems' and that a camper brought the illness with them to camp. We were then called on Tuesday 8/24 by the San Francisco dept of public health and informed that they received a report from the clinic near the camp that our daughter had contracted salmonella. We were called today by the clinic and told the same thing. As we are sure she contracted the salmonella at camp, and it basically ruined her camp experience by cutting it in half, should we expect a refund from the camp? If so, how should we request remuneration?

ellencee

I do not believe the camp is responsible for your daughter's illness and I do not think the camp owes any refund of the costs. It's awfully tempting to say, S*** happens.

I am a little concerned about the number of posts about salmonella. The frequency (no pun intended) seems a bit above normal.

EC

rmet4nzkx

Look at your contract with the camp and see if there is any language around illness at camp, additional insurance for illness cancellation, call the health department and see if they determined the cause of the outbreak, you were informed initially by the nurse that several campers had GI problems and attributed it to another camper bringing it with them however they knew nothing for sure at that point, this could have been E coli or something else and could have been caused by improper food handling, wildlife or water born. After you know whether there were provision made for or disclaimers re illness and if the health department has made a determination as to cause, you may be able to receive a refund. You might also call the camp and ask if there might be some compensation or a claim.

ellencee

Oh, come on! The child participated for the entire time, having mild complaints that were evaluated at the clinic and did not warrant calling the parents to take the child home. The parents were notified of the events as they occurred and the parents allowed the child to remain at the camp.

Why should the camp refund any portion of the money? Why should any insurance for cancellation due to illness pay any portion of the money?

Kids get sick. Put a group of kids together and they are going to give each other whatever illnesses they have or are carrying. That's life, not negligence.

Salmonellosis caused by improperly cooked food or improperly stored food would have wiped out the entire camp, kids, counselors, and all. One can safely rule out any negligent food handling or preparation.

I'll pass this baton to vrzirn...

EC

rmet4nzkx

The child's stay at camp was cut in half, she was treated at a clinic in town near the camp during mid week her parents collected her on Saturday. There are a number of ways for transmission of this illness that may not affect all campers and likely she got it while at camp, because she did not come sick to camp, that she got it there. The call from both the camp and health department seem to confirm that rather than R/O the camp as the cause, she was not the only camper with GI problems. I checked the USFDA site and during this time SAFEWAY recalled green onions for this very reason. Green onions are frequently picked out of food that children eat perhaps not all would be affected if this was the source. I already listed other sources. It doesn't hurt to check an see if there is some compensation since it appears she contracted it at the camp. I myself had this same problem last year from eating 1 taco with green onions, so it does happen and doesn't take much but was I ever misserable :eek:

T

tonyberk

To clarify, our daughter did contract salmonella per the clinic's diagnosis and the SF Dept. of Health. She was excluded from participation in camp activities (other than art) for the entire second week because she was constantly running to the restroom. I understand that when there is a large group of children they do pass on things such as colds or flu, but salmonella? Had she picked up poison oak, I wouldn't deem the camp responsible, but when you send your child somewhere for 2 weeks, you don't expect them to contract a food-borne illness.

P.S. Had I been told how truly ill she was, I would have immediately brought her home.

ellencee

tonyberk
I suggest you speak with your child's regular physician so that you gain an understanding of salmonella and how it is passed from one person to another vs. food-borne strains of salmonella and why the camp is or is not negligent/liable for your daughter's illness.

There are over 1400 strains of salmonella; the general public has a basic understanding of the strains passed by hand to mouth and food-borne. I sincerely doubt your child had anything but the strain that causes gastroenteritis (transmitted hand to mouth); it is highly unlikely she had the strain that is food-borne. The symptoms and severity of the associated illnesses of the two strains are significantly different.

Speak with an attorney in your area about your desire to hold the camp liable for your daughter's illness and your desire to gain a reimbursement of the costs of the camp.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">