• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choinga

It's a long story, but I'll try to make it as short as possible and to the point.

I'm interested in a consulting job that would require a clearance. I'm not sure if it's TS level, but lets' assume it is.

I enlisted in the Navy in 1989. I had a couple misdeameanor's - one which was deferred adjudicated. I listed the other but, under advisement of my recruiter, I did not list the offence that was deferred.

Cut to ~8 months later. I get a notice while in "A" training school that during the process of investigating me for a clearance that the investigators have found that my criminal record doesn't match what I listed in my application.

I end up at a review board where after several days of testimony (including that of my instructors on my behalf) the board agrees to allow me to continue my enlistment. Whew.

Now, cut to ~4 months later. I've been transferred to my next duty station and doing work as usual. I get a call from our legal officer asking me to come see him. He basically tells me that the Capt. of the Navy training center that I was at had overriden the boards decision to allow me to continue my enlistment and recommended that I be discharged (General under Honorable Conditions). Keep in mind that is 1989-90 and the military was downsizing significantly, so this likely had something to do with it - but who knows...

The Navy officer said that basically there was nothing I could do about it. I went ahead and tried to get some additional assistance on the matter from the JAG office on base, but they all said the same thing - it's not going to change.

So, cut to 14 years later (now). I've been very successful in spite of my Navy career. I have been in no trouble with the law, went to college, I'm married and have a child, make ~$100k a year, have no debts, or any other problems that would otherwise disqualify me for obtaining a clearance.

Based on this information - how likely is it that if I go through the process that I would be denied a clearance - if anything, based on the fact that I was discharged under "General" conditions? Has anyone who has been given a General discharge recieved a TS clearance?

I appreciate your time and responses.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">