• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Practicing Law??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nowpastdue

What is the name of your state? Florida, but my question relates to all 50 states.

Here is the scenario: Let's say a guy down the street has had 2 DUIs in the last six months OR a person living in a city 20 miles from my own is selling drugs out of her back door OR a person just over the FL-GA border is running a high stakes poker game every Friday night OR a person now living in Washington state has absconded from probation control in Texas OR a man living in California is a dead beat dad who owes his 2 children living in Iowa $18,342 in back child support.

My main question is: Would mailing the offending party a photocopy of the local, state, or federal statutes applicable to their offense be considered practicing law, acting as an attorney, or dispensing legal advice? Add to that, highlighting specific passages on the photocopies. Same questions.(?)

N

nowpastdue

gryndor

This sounds like a Homework Question. People here will rarely do your assignments for you.

Gryn

To Gryndor

Your assumption is incorrect. Graduated 1964. I am seeking opinions, both legal and otherwise of a substantive type.

gryndor

nowpastdue said:
To Gryndor

Your assumption is incorrect. Graduated 1964. I am seeking opinions, both legal and otherwise of a substantive type.
To what purpose? Is this a hypothetical question? Or is this something that is actually happening to you and you desparately need the guidance of somebody on this board? Or perhaps, since you graduated, you are seeking advice to give to a friend, or potential client?

Gryn

N

nowpastdue

gryndor said:
To what purpose? Is this a hypothetical question? Or is this something that is actually happening to you and you desparately need the guidance of somebody on this board? Or perhaps, since you graduated, you are seeking advice to give to a friend, or potential client?

Gryn
My purpose in asking the question was to obtain, as I stated previously, opinions both legal and otherwise as to the legality of the intended given action.
I am not an attorney. Are you insinuating that attorneys obtain advice on this forum? The scenarios given do not involve me directly or indirectly, they were presented to give a range rather than one basis for the question. In the sense that the scenarios are fictional the question can be considered hypothetical. It has been my experience that the best avenue to approach a legal problem is to seek advice before its occurrence, not after a problem arises. Perhaps I should have just asked the question: What constitutes acting as an attorney or giving legal advice in the legal sense?
Gryndor, I've checked some of your other posts/responses to post and it does not appear that you are an attorney. Care to offer an "otherwise" opinion or do you have more questions?

rmet4nzkx

You may point someone to statutes and codes, that is not legal advise, everyone has access to that, however, if that is what you are intending to do, the people receiving your unsolicited references to their crimes might result in the anger or obtaining a restraining order against you for harassment. Think once, twice or thrice before doing and remember descrition is the better part of valor

:cool:

gryndor

nowpastdue said:
Gryndor, I've checked some of your other posts/responses to post and it does not appear that you are an attorney.
Whoopde-friggin-do... I never said I was an attorney, nor to I pretend to be by omission. I was just stating that it sounded like a HW question and that those aren't well received here. Rationalizing your reasoning doesn't make it worth other people's time. Get a life.

Gryn

HomeGuru

nowpastdue said:
My purpose in asking the question was to obtain, as I stated previously, opinions both legal and otherwise as to the legality of the intended given action.
I am not an attorney. Are you insinuating that attorneys obtain advice on this forum? The scenarios given do not involve me directly or indirectly, they were presented to give a range rather than one basis for the question. In the sense that the scenarios are fictional the question can be considered hypothetical. It has been my experience that the best avenue to approach a legal problem is to seek advice before its occurrence, not after a problem arises. Perhaps I should have just asked the question: What constitutes acting as an attorney or giving legal advice in the legal sense?
Gryndor, I've checked some of your other posts/responses to post and it does not appear that you are an attorney. Care to offer an "otherwise" opinion or do you have more questions?

**A: yes, attorneys do obtain advice on this website.

Happy Trails

nowpastdue said:
What is the name of your state? Florida, but my question relates to all 50 states.

Here is the scenario: Let's say a guy down the street has had 2 DUIs in the last six months OR a person living in a city 20 miles from my own is selling drugs out of her back door OR a person just over the FL-GA border is running a high stakes poker game every Friday night OR a person now living in Washington state has absconded from probation control in Texas OR a man living in California is a dead beat dad who owes his 2 children living in Iowa $18,342 in back child support.

My main question is: Would mailing the offending party a photocopy of the local, state, or federal statutes applicable to their offense be considered practicing law, acting as an attorney, or dispensing legal advice? Add to that, highlighting specific passages on the photocopies. Same questions.(?)
**Why would you send them a photocopy of the laws that they are in violation with? Do you think they are not aware of them?

N

nowpastdue

Practicing Laww??

To RMET4NZKX

I'm not sure if what I was proposing could be characterized as "pointing someone" but I'll put down your opinion as a general ok. Most of the mailings could be sent anonymously (in fact all of them could). Back ten years ago or so I seem to recall that the notice to send to issuers of non sufficient checks in Florida carried sort of a proviso that issuance of the letter was without civil or criminal liability. I can't seem to find a copy now. My point was since the statute basically granted immunity to the person sending the letter, it would seem to me that if the statute had not granted immunity then the person doing the mailing would otherwise have been liable.

To GRYNDOR

I came to the forum seeking answers, not to start an argument or to let the "conversation" denegrate. I am sorry if I offended you in some way. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement,"Rationalizing your reason doesn't make it worth other people's time." Having said that I choose to let your last comment and any further comments pass without comment.

To HAPPYTRAILS

You asked why would I send a copy of the laws and did I think the person was not aware of their violations? 98% of the intended recipients are most likely aware of their transgressions. The intended impact of the copies of the applicable statutes is letting them know that someone else is aware and knows where they are and is watching them intently. The "message" is to stop and/or to get your affairs in order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">