• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saltt

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was wondering what the law reads exactly, for a 22yr old male and a 16yr old female. The relationship is non sexual, and won't become so until she turns 18. Both understand and agree with that, but we were told the male can be arrested for simply kissing her, hugging her, or even holding her hand. Is that true?

S

Saltt

Where would those laws be located? looking in the statutes of Florida, I see only sexual misconduct listed. All of other acts of "enticement" are for minors under 16 according to those.

Happy Trails

Saltt said:
Where would those laws be located? looking in the statutes of Florida, I see only sexual misconduct listed. All of other acts of "enticement" are for minors under 16 according to those.
**You shouldn't be trying to entice this young girl in the first place. When you were 16 she was just 10.

S

Saltt

And when I'm 40 she'll be 34 to keep things in perspective. Besides, the word "entice" is their word, not mine. All we would like to do is get to know each other better, without having to worry about the guy being sent to jail because we held hands while at a movie, or some other rediculous thing.

Happy Trails

Saltt said:
And when I'm 40 she'll be 34 to keep things in perspective. Besides, the word "entice" is their word, not mine. All we would like to do is get to know each other better, without having to worry about the guy being sent to jail because we held hands while at a movie, or some other rediculous thing.
**It's ridiculous... You may think it is ridiculous, but the laws in Florida are becoming stricter on this issue. You are considered an adult, you have been for four years. She is still in high school (hopefully) and won't be considered an adult until 18.

**That is a big age gap. The law doesn't like when adult men/women are enticing teenagers that are minors.

**Teenagers are as vulnerable as children to sexual exploitation due to their "sense of immortality," mobility, naivete, lack of worldliness and "savvy necessary to stay[ing] safe," and emotional neediness, all of which makes them easy targets for adults (MCMEC, The FrontLine, December 1997).

**Let her grow up and experience becoming an adult.

CdwJava

Not to mention that if her parents oppose this relationship, you could find yourself facing a contributing to her delinquency charge if she starts disobeying them and taking off to be with you. And, of course, there's the possibilty of restraining orders and the inevitable statutory rape allegation.

True or not, the allegation can be made ... and if you spend any time with her away from a host of witnesses, guess what is likely to be suspected?

And don't tell me the idea of at least serious petting has NOT crossed your mind! And in CA we would call that molestation ... I'm not sure if FL has ssimilar statute, but I would think they do.

Carl

BlondiePB

Originally posted by CdwJava
Not to mention that if her parents oppose this relationship, you could find yourself facing a contributing to her delinquency charge if she starts disobeying them and taking off to be with you.
Very true and more. The OP can be facing a third degree felony. All OP has to do is look better in the FL statutes and he'll find the statutes.

Saltt, look better for a girlfriend your own age.

S

Saltt

I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. There were a few things I neglected to mention, I suppose. The first is both sets of parents know, and said as long as we wait to do anything until she's 18 their cool with it. As far as what we've considered, I won't lie and say that neither of us have considered anything. However I think it important to point out that we are both Christians, not to mention chickens(lol) and wouldn't do much of anything for a long time. Sex is out of the question(save till marriage) as is any form of it. And the last point is being told to get a girlfriend more his age is kind of odd. First their not dating yet-and will not until she's 18. He cares a great deal about her, and is in no rush to speed things up. The most they do now is talk on the phone, see each other at church, and a group thing every once in a while. They were just nervous about a hug or holding hands. I don't see why its only wrong when 2 people are in a "relationship". No one would say anything to a cop who goes and hugs a 10yr old would they? Or a boss who buys presents for workers' children who gets a hug for it? We wouldn't accuse them of anything-why then if a 16yr old girl hugs a 22yr guy is he accused?

Happy Trails

Saltt said:
I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. There were a few things I neglected to mention, I suppose. The first is both sets of parents know, and said as long as we wait to do anything until she's 18 their cool with it. As far as what we've considered, I won't lie and say that neither of us have considered anything. However I think it important to point out that we are both Christians, not to mention chickens(lol) and wouldn't do much of anything for a long time. Sex is out of the question(save till marriage) as is any form of it. And the last point is being told to get a girlfriend more his age is kind of odd. First their not dating yet-and will not until she's 18. He cares a great deal about her, and is in no rush to speed things up. The most they do now is talk on the phone, see each other at church, and a group thing every once in a while. They were just nervous about a hug or holding hands. I don't see why its only wrong when 2 people are in a "relationship". No one would say anything to a cop who goes and hugs a 10yr old would they? Or a boss who buys presents for workers' children who gets a hug for it? We wouldn't accuse them of anything-why then if a 16yr old girl hugs a 22yr guy is he accused?
**Oh come on now, certainly you know the answer to that.

S

Saltt

My friend helps run a youth group. He's 24 years old. Every wednesday as the kids arrive, several of the female kids will give him a hug, and he'll ask them how their week has been. Should we accuse him of something? And don't tell me it's a different situation. Both the 22yr old and the 16yr old have accepted that they have to wait till she's 18. So right now their friends, nothing more. No one knows about their feelings besides the parents. So he should be scared of jail for a hug? Sorry I just don't understand the logic behind it.
PS-I see him tomorrow and would like to be able to tell him what the law is exactly. If anyone can tell me what statutes to look at I'd greatly appreciate it.

BlondiePB

This girl's parents have given their "blessings" for the relationship??!!

Then why are you looking for the FL statutes that will protect the 22 year old from a criminal offense?

Who do you think you're fooling?

The statutes are there. Keep looking.

Happy Trails

Saltt said:
My friend helps run a youth group. He's 24 years old. Every wednesday as the kids arrive, several of the female kids will give him a hug, and he'll ask them how their week has been. Should we accuse him of something?

**Do you think he should be accused of something?

And don't tell me it's a different situation.

**You tell me why I shouldn't think that?

Both the 22yr old and the 16yr old have accepted that they have to wait till she's 18. So right now their friends, nothing more. No one knows about their feelings besides the parents. So he should be scared of jail for a hug? Sorry I just don't understand the logic behind it.

**People see the age gap and see you may be acting inappropriately.

PS-I see him tomorrow and would like to be able to tell him what the law is exactly. If anyone can tell me what statutes to look at I'd greatly appreciate it.
**If you think he's acting inappropratley, then tell him to quit hugging the girls. Is he holding their hands, kissing them and can hardly wait until they turn 18 too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">