• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Claim - Made By Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dkjj

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

In April of 2000 we received a severe storm that damaged some houses in our neighborhood. My husband checked our house and did not see any visible damage to our home. We moved that June into a new house. In July of the same year, I contacted my insurance agent to purchase more insurance on our new home, and he asked me if our "other" home had received damage in the hail storm, and I told him no. Well, he went and did an inspection anyway and determined that we had roof damage and filed a claim against our insurance. The insurance paid, but since we were not living in the home at the time the 6000.00 check was sent to us in our name and the mortgage holders name. We had to sign the check over to them. Well, we were denied insurance on our new home because we had a claim against our insurance within two years. My question is, was it legal for our agent to file a claim for us without our permission? Was it illegal for us not to get the proceeds but still be denied insurance when we did not make the claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">