• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eligible for Unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ScrapperCondor

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

Note: You might remember my post about one of the managers ruining my career and my insomnia.

I'm a salaried full-time employee at a large corporation. About four months ago I finished up the project I was working on and rather than try to get on another project, I went on unpaid leave of absence, mainly to try to get my insomnia under control. In the past week I've been in contact with the person who does job placement there to talk about opportunities. Most of the projects there require a security clearance. In the past few years I've been in therapy for my social anxiety, insomnia, and loneliness, and that pretty much guarantees I'd be turned down for a clearance. Today they're supposed to call to tell me if there are any departments interested in me. I've been applying for jobs at other companies but the job market is tight and I'm not having much luck finding anything.

If my employer doesn't have a project for me, am I eligible for unemployment? If they do have an opening but it requires a clearance, would that be an issue if I said I wouldn't be able to get a clearance? I'd hate to have to explain my problems to the FBI and then it would be on my record when they turned me down.

Thanks

Beth3

If my employer doesn't have a project for me, am I eligible for unemployment? You were potentially eligible for unemployment back when you first went "on the bench" due to lack of work. You don't become newly or first eligible now if you're turned down for a security clearance.

If you haven't applied for UC benefits, I suggest you do so. As to whether benefits would be affected by a security clearance problem barring you from accepting a project, I'd guess no but only a UC adjudicator in your State can tell you for certain.

S

ScrapperCondor

I have a few questions. As I said before, in March I completed the project I was working on and then went on a voluntary unpaid leave, rather than immediately try to get on another project. I began this leave on Mar. 12. I did this because my insomnia was really bad and I wanted to try to get it under control before starting a new project. For the past three weeks or so I have been looking for another project but haven't found anything. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm supposed to speak with someone over there about another position, but if they don't have anything, I'm going to apply for unemployment.

Here are my questions:

1. If I apply for unemployment, does that essentially mean that I am no longer on leave or can I collect until they find me something?

2. Can they fight paying me unemployment since I went on voluntary unpaid leave?

Thanks

Last edited:

Beth3

1. If I apply for unemployment, does that essentially mean that I am no longer on leave or can I collect until they find me something? Whatever your current employment status is is between you and your employer. It has nothing to do with whether or not you apply for UC benefits.

2. Can they fight paying me unemployment since I went on voluntary unpaid leave? Quite possibly. If you voluntarily elected to go on leave rather than have your employer pursue another project for you, that may well effect your eligibilty for UC benefits.

S

ScrapperCondor

If you voluntarily elected to go on leave rather than have your employer pursue another project for you, that may well effect your eligibilty for UC benefits.
This could mean that I am not eligible even though I am still an employee and actively looking for another project? What happens when my leave runs out? I haven't quit my job. I just took some time off. I'm getting a little concerned because I may not be able to get on another project and there are no jobs out there.

Dandy Don

Your eligibility for unemployment depends on how long you have worked for the company.

If you have any questions, the local unemployment office can advise you or contact them by phone to try to preserve your anonymity.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don, that's a bit simplistic. Eligibility for unemployment depends on considerably more than the length of time with the company.

Scrapper, no one here can tell you yes, you are definitely eligible or no, you are not eligible. Eligibility is based on state law and very situation specific information.

Although Don's answer does not take enough factors into consideration, he is correct about one thing. You need to get your answers from your state Unemployment Commission. They are the only ones who can give you a definite answer.

S

ScrapperCondor

This is the response I got from the CO Dept. of Employment
Job separation and other pay decisions are based upon input from you and your employer. We are unable to make a determination in advance of allowing both parties an opportunity to provide information. The only way to know for sure whether you qualify for unemployment insurance is to file a claim following separation.
When I applied for leave of absence I was told that when I was ready to come back, they would try to find me another project but they wouldn't guarantee anything. There have been several positions open that I am qualified for including the project I left but I haven't been given any opportunities to interview for those positions.

I'm not having any luck finding another job so I am going to file. I have a few questions.

When applying for unemployment benifits there are two options for the reason for taking a leave of absence: 1. Another job, 2. Illness or physically disability. The reason I took leave was to try to get my insomnia under control but when I applied for leave I gave a "business opportunity" as the reason because I didn't want to be looked at as having a disability (it's a very conservative company). The business opportunity was I was learning stock equities trading but I didn't actually make any money doing it. Should I select "illness or physical disability" and then explain why I put business opportunity as my reason?

My leave isn't actually up until Oct. 12. Do I need to wait until then before filing? My company isn't trying to find me another position.

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">