• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

postponement of civil harassment hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nixonfan

California

I was awarded a TRO against my neighbor for civil harassment three weeks ago. The hearing for the permanent order was scheduled for yesterday morning. I was there on time with my attorney only to find that she had called the night before and asked to postpone the hearing because of surgery. I came home and heard her yelling at her kids, as usual, all day long.

My question is two fold. One: can she postpone the hearing that last minute? Wasn't I or my attorney entitled to advance notice of some sort? Two: because my attorney didn't have any prior notice, he came down to the court house. Can I ask the court to force my neighbor to pay his bill for that time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">