• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract of Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

computerman

I'm sure this is a petty question with no legal grounds, but as a last feeble attempt I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. I'm not sure I would pursue legal action even if I could, but would like to know my options.

About 3 years ago I purchased a house in the country. When we stopped to look at the house I asked the sellers where the property line was on one side of the house. They indicated about 20 feet from where we stood, which was acceptable but not good by any means. I told them thanks, but we were only interested if the house included the large 3 acre field next to it, which it obviously did not. (We have since found out the line is about 3 feet from the driveway instead of 20 and we can't even put a desired addition on the house due to setback laws.)

The sellers then told us that their parents who lived next store owned that property, and we drove up to their house to discuss it with them. We explained we were only interested in the house if they would also sell us their field, which they agreed and said we would take care of that once everything was settled with their kids (now i was young and stupid - did not get anything in writing and believing the word to be a nice, honest place smiled and bought the house).

Three years later we are still trying to get the neighbors to sell (I have politely approached them every couple months that entre time, and they were always too busy at the time - health problems and such). They have now told us they will not sell.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know is NYS or the feds have any verbal contract laws, or anyone have any suggestions on this. Don't really care if we offend them at this point, they obvioulsy don't like us and have offended us.

HomeGuru

computerman said:
I'm sure this is a petty question with no legal grounds, but as a last feeble attempt I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. I'm not sure I would pursue legal action even if I could, but would like to know my options.

About 3 years ago I purchased a house in the country. When we stopped to look at the house I asked the sellers where the property line was on one side of the house. They indicated about 20 feet from where we stood, which was acceptable but not good by any means. I told them thanks, but we were only interested if the house included the large 3 acre field next to it, which it obviously did not. (We have since found out the line is about 3 feet from the driveway instead of 20 and we can't even put a desired addition on the house due to setback laws.)

The sellers then told us that their parents who lived next store owned that property, and we drove up to their house to discuss it with them. We explained we were only interested in the house if they would also sell us their field, which they agreed and said we would take care of that once everything was settled with their kids (now i was young and stupid - did not get anything in writing and believing the word to be a nice, honest place smiled and bought the house).

Three years later we are still trying to get the neighbors to sell (I have politely approached them every couple months that entre time, and they were always too busy at the time - health problems and such). They have now told us they will not sell.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know is NYS or the feds have any verbal contract laws, or anyone have any suggestions on this. Don't really care if we offend them at this point, they obvioulsy don't like us and have offended us.
**A: you do not have an enforceable contract pursuant to the NY statutes of frauds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">