• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who has this r-o-w?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcs115

What is the name of your state? maine

I bought a home recently. In my deed, it states that " this property is subject to a 20 ft right of way along the (neighbor's) property line for the purpose of accessing the wood lot to the north." another neighbor says that it is her
r-o-w, because long ago all the property lines were in different places. My question is, Wouldn't HER deed need to state that SHE has a 20 ft r-o-w (in that same location) for her to have any rights to it? also, I have researched all of the surrounding property deeds and not any of them say that they have a r-o-w.
the r-o-w was created in 1926 and when the owners died, the inheriting relative quit claimed the property to a new couple however, the right to the r-o-w was never transferred.
thanks,pcs115

Last edited:

HomeGuru

pcs115 said:
What is the name of your state? maine

I bought a home recently. In my deed, it states that " this property is subject to a 20 ft right of way along the (neighbor's) property line for the purpose of accessing the wood lot to the north." another neighbor says that it is her
r-o-w, because long ago all the property lines were in different places. My question is, Wouldn't HER deed need to state that SHE has a 20 ft r-o-w (in that same location) for her to have any rights to it?

**A: yes.

also, I have researched all of the surrounding property deeds and not any of them say that they have a r-o-w.
the r-o-w was created in 1926 and when the owners died, the inheriting relative quit claimed the property to a new couple however, the right to the r-o-w was never transferred.
thanks,pcs115
**A: see a real estate attorney.

Last edited:
P

pcs115

so whay now?

Maine,

***so..... if her deed says nothing about having a r-o-w, and as it turns out, no one else's deed does either, is there a relatively easy way to have the r-o-w expunged or deleted?
( i know that i have to see a lawyer who will determine that no one has a claim to it, but i want to know what i will be asking him to do is possible before i spend any more money on this bogus problem. )
thanks alot for your help!!!

HomeGuru

pcs115 said:
Maine,

***so..... if her deed says nothing about having a r-o-w, and as it turns out, no one else's deed does either, is there a relatively easy way to have the r-o-w expunged or deleted?
( i know that i have to see a lawyer who will determine that no one has a claim to it, but i want to know what i will be asking him to do is possible before i spend any more money on this bogus problem. )
thanks alot for your help!!!
**A: to properly answer, a real estate attorney would need to read the recorded ROW document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">