• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Question???? PLease Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NickBBB

What is the name of your state? California

So heres the story, My roommate moved out after 4months of living at our current place after signing a one year lease, we now have someone else moving in and here is my question.

When we release him from the apartment he wants a security deposit portion back, which we will not receive until our lease is up. He wants us to get this from our new roommate and give it to him immediately. He has threatened us with small claims action, for his deposit and also *Round Trip airfare from his midwestern state, Transportation, Hotel, and Food*

On this roommate release form it states "I agree to release the total deposit to the above mentioned apartment, to the below remaining roommates" which he has signed.

Since he is not defending himself can he do this legally sue for airfare and food and such ridiculous things?

Secondly since he has no legal proof of him paying us a deposit, so what would be the best way to go about dealing with this if it does come to court?

Thanks for any help you people can give me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">