• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicapped son bullied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oxyjock

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My son is 13 years old. He has Aspergers syndrome (mild autism). By normal 13 yr old standards he is weird I guess. 3 boys this year have targeted him at the school bus stop. They bully him and throw rocks at him. Today one struck him in the eye with a rock (we are still waiting for the school to call and let us know of the damage to him). These boys are not handicapped but are a year younger than him. They follow him home and throw rocks over our fence at him. I want this to stop and if there are any doctor bills from this I want it paid by their parents. How should I proceed? Is this just conscidered "boys will be boys"?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Have you already spoken with the parents? And have you considered calling the police and asking about filing assault charges? Last - why are you waiting on the school to call you back about your son's injuries? Why aren't you up at the school with him? Why are you even letting the school assess the damage to his eye rather than taking him to the ER?

oxyjock

The school will not give us names of the children or parents. Yes I have considered assult charges. When i posted my wife was already on her way to the school to get him, but I had not heard from her. The side of his nose is scratched and under his eyes looks like it may bruise. The child was suspended from the bus for 3 days and they changed his bus stop.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If this has been a recurring event - can your SON tell you who's bullying him? I would have assumed that you got that info from him because of course the school wouldn't tell you.

rmet4nzkx

oxyjock said:
What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My son is 13 years old. He has Aspergers syndrome (mild autism). By normal 13 yr old standards he is weird I guess. 3 boys this year have targeted him at the school bus stop. They bully him and throw rocks at him. Today one struck him in the eye with a rock (we are still waiting for the school to call and let us know of the damage to him). These boys are not handicapped but are a year younger than him. They follow him home and throw rocks over our fence at him. I want this to stop and if there are any doctor bills from this I want it paid by their parents. How should I proceed? Is this just conscidered "boys will be boys"?
At least you have a diagnosis for your son, many parents don't have that and that can lead to other problems. Also dealing with practical things in families with Asperger's can be very difficult. Here is a site with much useful information, I also suggest that you make contact with your local support groups here is the link http://www.FAAAS.org

What can you do? Call the police and tell them your son is disabled and ask that they talk to the parents and the boys taunting your son. Give them examples of times when this happened including today. Please remember, unless someone reliable see's it they will question what your son reports because person's with AS have great difficulty understanding their environment and they may also answer questions with what they think the questioner wants to hear or correct information to the worng quesiton.

What to do about him being taunted while waiting for the bus? You can do several things, provide transportation yourself, that way you control the situation from door to door. Since your son has a known disability which qualifies for accommodation and services to children who require treatment similar to Autism, take advantage of your school's requirement to provide Special Education, accommodations may include other things than inclusion in special education classess, it may also include testing, treatment and transportation. Most schools are required to provide door to door transportation for it's disabled students or at least make it available, these busses usually include the driver and aids to ensure their safety during transport, while this may seem a set back by not including your son in the normal population during transportation, if you are not able to provide safe transport yourself, this may be the best solution, until the other problems are worked out.

In addition to the police, call the school and ask that they work with these children, to raise their levels of awarness and sensitiviety, the school can also impose restrictions on these children, if in fact they are hurting your son or other children. Someitmes making them work together on a project can help both learn how to get along better, but the counselors will have several options.

Last of all, remember many famous people had Asperger's and have made many contributions to society.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">