• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident - ? on Physical Therapy Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wardnine

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello... I was in an auto accident a few months ago where the other driver was 100% at fault. I went through physical therapy for about a month and a half (in April & May) and was given ~$3000 bill (for some reason the physical therapist practice has not to this day contacted me even once about the $3000 I owe them since they first gave me the bill back in May). I did not have health insurance at the time of the accident but I (and my attorney) received an injury settlement from the at-fault driver's car insurance which more than covers the $3000 bill.

I go in to meet my attorney yesterday to get the settlement check and he tells me that I can almost definitely get away without paying the full $3000 bill I owe the physical therapist office. He told me that I should tell them that I received a settlement, but that it didn't cover all of my expenses so I'd have to pay out of pocket. He told me also to question some of the "high tech" tests they performed on my wrists (I had a left wrist injury) since they seemed a bit unnecessary and overpriced to him. He said I should offer to pay ~$1500 to settle the bill and that the physical therapist practice would probably come up with a higher figure to settle for ($2000-$2500) but less than the $3000 I owe them. I'm wondering if this is something that would actually work? My attorney says I could probably get a lower settlement figure, even though I've signed papers when I quit going to physical therapy agreeing to pay the final $3000 bill. Would I be able to get them to accept a lower settlement figure anyway??

ALSO, I called my current health insurance yesterday and they are now telling me that, even though I was uninsured when the accident first occured, they could cover a large portion of the physical therapy bills since I was insured when I went through physical therapy. I was not aware they could cover me since I was uninsured when I first suffered the injury. They said they could cover what the settlement doesn't cover but does my health insurance necessarily have to know how much I settled for?? Is it possible they are liable to pay a large portion of my physical therapy costs as if I hadn't received a settlement? I don't see how it is any of their business what I settled for and if my physical therapy bills are covered under health insurance (as my health insurance claims is the case) then shouldn't they be liable for my costs regardless of my settlement??

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated...

Okay, let me try to clarify your issue: Right now, two different parties are both willing to pay you for one bill. You're trying to make them both pay so you can profit from it. You're willing to LIE to the physical therapy office to get them to lower that one bill, KNOWING you've received money specifically to pay it, KNOWING your health insurance has hooked you up by offering to pay it as well.

So your question is: what advice can we give you on how to cheat these people?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">