• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this fee arrangement seem reasonable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JP_in_Colorado

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have been searching to retain an attorney for a real estate law issue regarding the sellers' failure to disclose water damage prior to the purchase of the house my husband and I bought from them. Depending on what the damage ends up being, we might rescind the purchase or seek damages for their failure to disclose. There is also the added element of our homeowner's insurance company doing unethical things with our policy because of these prior claims by the previous owners, so that could be a separate battle within itself.

With this said, one attorney who has taken an interest in our case has responded this way to me: "I could represent you, investigate the matter and assess your legal claims. However, I would charge you $200 per hour, and it would be expensive. I would also require a retainer of $3,000 to start work on the case. If you are interested in that type of arrangement, please let me know."

Since I have never had to retain the services of an attorney in the past, I do not know if this arrangement for payment is reasonable or not. Please let me know your thoughts. I understand that attorney fees can be expensive, but I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of.

If the arrangement does NOT appear reasonable, where can I go to find a decent, ethical attorney who isn't going to charge in an unethical way? Any recommendations in the Denver, Colorado area would be most helpful.

HomeGuru

JP_in_Colorado said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have been searching to retain an attorney for a real estate law issue regarding the sellers' failure to disclose water damage prior to the purchase of the house my husband and I bought from them. Depending on what the damage ends up being, we might rescind the purchase or seek damages for their failure to disclose. There is also the added element of our homeowner's insurance company doing unethical things with our policy because of these prior claims by the previous owners, so that could be a separate battle within itself.

With this said, one attorney who has taken an interest in our case has responded this way to me: "I could represent you, investigate the matter and assess your legal claims. However, I would charge you $200 per hour, and it would be expensive. I would also require a retainer of $3,000 to start work on the case. If you are interested in that type of arrangement, please let me know."

Since I have never had to retain the services of an attorney in the past, I do not know if this arrangement for payment is reasonable or not. Please let me know your thoughts. I understand that attorney fees can be expensive, but I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of.

If the arrangement does NOT appear reasonable, where can I go to find a decent, ethical attorney who isn't going to charge in an unethical way? Any recommendations in the Denver, Colorado area would be most helpful.

**A: the fee schedule sounds reasonable to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">