• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking In the state of Washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brewzer

What is the name of your state? Washington

Last night I parked in a handicap parking space in my apratment complex. Honestly, it was the second time in my life I have ever done that, but the first time I have left it there for any extended amount of time. When I woke up in the morning I had a $250 ticket on my windshield. I realize I created my own problem, but is it legal for the city police to issue me this ticket in a private parking area?

I already checked with the apt. manager and he said they have no agreement with the police to enforce parking villations. He also said it is common for people to park in front of fire hydrants all the time at the apt. complex. I have had a little trouble finding the statute or ordinance concerning handicap parking in Washington so I was hoping someone lese would know. Thanks.

B

brewzer

Well that just sux. Guess I have learned a very expensive lesson. If by chance anyone has gotten out of a similar situation please let me know. Otherwise it looks like I can either move out of state or pay the ticket, and I am not moving any time soon ;)

ptlmejo

Yep...it'll stand.

RCW 46.16.381
Special parking for disabled persons -- Penalties -- Enforcement. (Effective until November 1, 2004.)

(10) It is a parking infraction, with a monetary penalty of two hundred fifty dollars for any person to park a vehicle in a parking place provided on private property without charge or on public property reserved for physically disabled persons without a special license plate or placard. If a person is charged with a violation, the person shall not be determined to have committed an infraction if the person produces in court or before the court appearance the special license plate or placard required under this section. A local jurisdiction providing nonmetered, on-street parking places reserved for physically disabled persons may impose by ordinance time restrictions of no less than four hours on the use of these parking places. A local jurisdiction may impose by ordinance time restrictions of no less than four hours on the use of nonreserved, on-street parking spaces by vehicles displaying the special parking placards. All time restrictions must be clearly posted.

T

Tired_of_trying

brewzer said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Last night I parked in a handicap parking space in my apratment complex. Honestly, it was the second time in my life I have ever done that, but the first time I have left it there for any extended amount of time. When I woke up in the morning I had a $250 ticket on my windshield. I realize I created my own problem, but is it legal for the city police to issue me this ticket in a private parking area?

I already checked with the apt. manager and he said they have no agreement with the police to enforce parking villations. He also said it is common for people to park in front of fire hydrants all the time at the apt. complex. I have had a little trouble finding the statute or ordinance concerning handicap parking in Washington so I was hoping someone lese would know. Thanks.
Law Enforcement Agencies, including fire department personnel and parking control officers, can issue citations for vehicles parked within disable parking spaces which do not bear a disabled placard or plate. They can also issue a citation for parking in the hashmarked area next to the space, even to a disable person, as well as for blocking acess to a disabled parking space in ANY parking lot.

Barring you were not legally documented disabled, permenantly or temporarily and just being plain lazy as stupid, you can receive a citation. Be glad it was only $250.00, where I worked and issued such citations $475.00. Maybe they will let you make payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">