• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is insurance valid if registration is expired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kitty74

What is the name of your state? New York

The registration on my husband's motorcycle expired because he did not have time to get it inspected. He finally had the inspection done, so now he can get the registration done (probably will start the process on Monday). He wants to go for a ride this weekend, but I'm afraid that the lasped registration (at least 60 days lapsed, but probably closer to 90 days) will automatically invalidate the insurance (insurance is paid and the card is current). He says lapsed registration won't make a difference for insurance purposes, but that seems counter-intuitive.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

MandyD

I'm not sure really. In NY, we must provide proof of insurance before we can register any vehicle, so in that sense we all, at one time or another, have had vehicles that were insured without being registered, even if only for a day. However, we're not suppose to drive an unregistered vehicle.

The registration on my husband's Jeep was expired last year when he was pulled over for speeding. He was insured so he didn't get that ticket, but of course he did get one for speeding and driving an unregistered car. Now, if he happened to have an accident at that time, I bet the insurance wouldn't cover it since he was driving illegally.

Read your policy carefully and see what it says.

Tayla

kitty74 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

The registration on my husband's motorcycle expired because he did not have time to get it inspected. He finally had the inspection done, so now he can get the registration done (probably will start the process on Monday). He wants to go for a ride this weekend, but I'm afraid that the lasped registration (at least 60 days lapsed, but probably closer to 90 days) will automatically invalidate the insurance (insurance is paid and the card is current). He says lapsed registration won't make a difference for insurance purposes, but that seems counter-intuitive.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
Primarily your husband is correct. One can have a car insured and lapse on registration. It doesnt change the insurance coverage or cancel it.Have you been able to review your insurance policy to see if there are provisions respectively to what you are asking?
Did I mention he cant drive it though by law til its registered? He will get a hefty fine in New York for doing such. Have him garage it and play it safe til all paper work is in order.

mrtoledo

I have seen many insurance policys say your insurance coverage is void if the vehicle is used while commiting a criminal act. I am not sure if expired plates would fall under "criminal act", but it is somthing to ponder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">