• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronc

What is the name of your state? indiana Neighbor has erected fence running to two corners of my building,preventing me from any access to one side of building. Is this legal? Is he required to allow space for maintenance, walkway, etc.? How much? Thanks, Ronc

HomeGuru

ronc said:
What is the name of your state? indiana Neighbor has erected fence running to two corners of my building,preventing me from any access to one side of building. Is this legal? Is he required to allow space for maintenance, walkway, etc.? How much? Thanks, Ronc
**A: if his fence is on his property line then he did nothing illegal. He is not required to allow space for you, especially if you own a commercial building which you do, correct?

Last edited:
R

ronc

HomeGuru said:
**A: if hsi fence is on his property line then he did nothing illegal. He is not required to allow space for you, especially if you own a commercial building which you do, correct?
Correct. Doesn't seem like it would be legal for someone to completely block access to one side of building. The person with the fence has a bad attitude. What do I do if I need to paint or something? Thanks, Ronc

Last edited:

nextwife

Whomever placed the building in such a way that it was totally dependent upon passage over an other parties property is the one responsible for blocking for access - not your neighbor. Failure by prior owners to plan, and possibly failure to obey side building setbacks does not create an obligation on the part on adjacent property owners to accommodate you.

By placing the structure so close to the lot line that it depends on neighbor access, the party who built this and failed to obtain an easement created the problem.

HomeGuru

Writer, I suggest you review the zoning setback requirements for commerical property. In many instances, a commerical building is allowed to be built with no side yard setback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">