• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger Seatbelt violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dsimmelink

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hello,
I was driving across town in the little college town of Cheney, WA with a friend on the way to Napa to pick up a belt for my truck. My friend was driving his car and I was in the passenger seat. We passed a cop who apparently saw that neither of us were wearing our seatbelts. The cop then flipped around and pulled us over. While we hadn't done anything else wrong, the cop asked for my ID as well. I politely obliged and gave him my ID. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the cop returned with our $101 tickets for the rediculous ClickItOrTicket law.

Two main questions:
1. I am wondering if there is much point of at least Mitigating the fine to hope on getting it dropped however much.
2. Also, probably my main question for someone knowledged in the laws, what if I were to have not had my ID on me... could the cop still give me a ticket if he couldn't even prove who I was?

Much thanks to anyone reading this and willing to shed some light on the subject. This is my first ticket since not having a car or insurance for over two years due to an accident that left me financially incapble of driving. I REALLY don't want to deal with higher insurance rates and would love to get this taken off my record, if it may in fact possibly get there.
Thanks again,
Dana

Last edited:

harbor14

dsimmelink said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Hello,
I was driving across town in the little college town of Cheney, WA with a friend on the way to Napa to pick up a belt for my truck. My friend was driving his car and I was in the passenger seat. We passed a cop who apparently saw that neither of us were wearing our seatbelts. The cop then flipped around and pulled us over. While we hadn't done anything else wrong, the cop asked for my ID as well. I politely obliged and gave him my ID. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the cop returned with our $101 tickets for the rediculous ClickItOrTicket law.

Two main questions:
1. I am wondering if there is much point of at least Mitigating the fine to hope on getting it dropped however much.
2. Also, probably my main question for someone knowledged in the laws, what if I were to have not had my ID on me... could the cop still give me a ticket if he couldn't even prove who I was?

Much thanks to anyone reading this and willing to shed some light on the subject. This is my first ticket since not having a car or insurance for over two years due to an accident that left me financially incapble of driving. I REALLY don't want to deal with higher insurance rates and would love to get this taken off my record, if it may in fact possibly get there.
Thanks again,
Dana
The seat belt ticket in Washington is a non-moving violation there are no points and thus no insurance premium increase. You can go to court and asked for a mitigation hearing from the judge - it is up to him to decide what to do.

And yes you would still have gotten the ticket, if not worse, for failing to identify yourself. We have a thing called Obstruction and Making a false statement. Not a smart thing to try and do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">