• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft of Goods?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

huntermyst

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Back some time, some friends talked me into "yahoo'ing" some beer. This is where you go into a gas station, grab a case of beer, put the money on the counter, and then run out. From what I've been told, most times, people don't pay, they just run out. I understand how that would be theft of goods. My situation is that I did pay for it, I am over 21. Also it was 3am on a Sunday and in Baton Rouge, they stop selling alcohol at midnight on Sunday.

The person behind the counter was a police officer from another parish and he jumped over the counter and grabbed me right when I was getting into my friends car. When the clothed cops got there, they gave me a misdomeanor theft of goods charge.

I have the option of doing a pretrail diversion so I won't have to go to court but there is a fine (from what I've read, there is a chance for a small jail time for misdomeanor theft).

My question is whether or not misdomeanor theft of goods is the right charge or should it have been something else? I tried calling the city prosecuter and he said he would have helped me but he can't give me any legal advice which is understandable.

edit: The case of Corona cost $13 (or right around there) and I put a $20 on the counter.

Last edited:

racer72

Do you have a receipt as proof of purchase? You don't? That is called theft. It is not legal to remove merchandise till it has been legally paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">