• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander by collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vsolosky

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? In Penna.....

I am in the process of filing chapter 13 bankruptcy and had a collection guy call me and bash me telling me that I should not be doing the finances because I cannot handle them, telling my husband that he doesn't wear the pants in the family and should consider having some one else take care of the bills. He told me that I am incapable of handling money. Now I am really doubting my ability to do so. I know that the bankruptcy law doesn't cover this because it was prior to the filing, but is there any sort of action that I can take?? I feel belittled, doubtful of my own self and ready to give up handling the finances altogether.

HomeGuru

vsolosky said:

I am in the process of filing chapter 13 bankruptcy and had a collection guy call me and bash me telling me that I should not be doing the finances because I cannot handle them, telling my husband that he doesn't wear the pants in the family and should consider having some one else take care of the bills. He told me that I am incapable of handling money. Now I am really doubting my ability to do so. I know that the bankruptcy law doesn't cover this because it was prior to the filing, but is there any sort of action that I can take?? I feel belittled, doubtful of my own self and ready to give up handling the finances altogether.

**A: next time tell the person not to call anymore and just hang up.

O

OC3902

vsolosky said:

The title of your post mentions slander, however unless the call was a conference call, there was no slander because the caller's statements were not heard by anyone other than the person on the other end of the phone. Once you file the bankrupty petition, there is an automatic stay against collection agencies trying to collect from you. The creditors, including collection agencies, may seek to set aside the automatic stay, but I doubt that the type of call you described would occur again. Bankruptcy law is intended to give you a fresh start, so you shouldn't keep doubting yourself or necessarily give up handling finances altogether, however it might be helpful to seek advice on handling your finances (other than filing for bankruptcy) so that you don't get into trouble with your finances again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">