• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryan45419

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi! My mother often travels for work, and she has been hiring a 14 year old girl who lives in her neighborhood to take care of her dogs while she is away. The understanding was that this young woman was to visit several times each day to let the dogs out and to feed them. She was not given permission to have guests at my mother's home.

Well, yesterday my mom returned home to find all of the blinds pulled down, candy wrappers and gum in the house, a shelf cleared in the refrigerator (likely to make space for "beverages"), and evidence in general that there had been a party, and that kids had been throughout the house (inside, outside deck area, bedrooms, etc.).

She has since learned that the 14 year old and two of her older sisters had thrown this party, and that at least ten people had been in attendance. The parents have grounded the three for a period of two months. The 14 year old has verbally apologized to my mother, but the two sisters did not.

So, I was wondering about the following:

1) What legal liability did these girls expose my mom to?

2) What actions, legal, or otherwise could/should my mom take? Whether she chooses to take any actions or not, I don't know, but what are some of the options available to her?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

bryan45419

Follow-Up

As a follow-up to my original post, my mom has found the following:

1) evidence that the bathroom shower was used (things re-arranged) towels pulled out, etc. Thus, the question arises - did someone stay overnight at the house?

2) potential evidence of drug use in the basement area

Thanks again for any insight you can provide on this situation!

JETX

bryan45419 said:
What legal liability did these girls expose my mom to?
Based solely on the contents of your post, none.

What actions, legal, or otherwise could/should my mom take? Whether she chooses to take any actions or not, I don't know, but what are some of the options available to her?
There aren't any. She gave the 'housesitter' permission to access the house. She abused the 'privilege'. No LAWS appear to have been broken.

evidence that the bathroom shower was used (things re-arranged) towels pulled out, etc. Thus, the question arises - did someone stay overnight at the house?
Not relevant.

potential evidence of drug use in the basement area
If she has PROOF that drugs were used, then she might consider calling the police to report that. However, without actual PROOF as to what and who.... there is little, if anything, that the police could do.

kat1963

This is why I only hire professional pet sitters that have their own insurance AND who are also bonded. This is why I have $500,000 in homeowner’s liability and 1M in umbrella coverage. When you let people into your home you put yourself at risk for a lawsuit. Sure hiring the 14 year old saved your Mom what $15.00 a visit, but was it really worth it?? A 14 year old, a house all to themselves with no parental supervision. One would tend to think that your Mom *assumed* this risk by hiring a minor.
No damage has been done (that your Mom knows of so far), the girls are on restriction, there was an apology, it’s a lesson…live & learn from it, then let it go. Never hire her or her sisters again.
How come you can’t let the dogs out?
KAT

bryan45419

JETX, thanks for your response. Your answers pretty much what I expected. We don't really want to do anything here anyways - I was just curious to know what others' thoughts were on this.

Kat, I respect your opinion. You think this is my Mom's fault, and I understand where you are coming from. Although I can't say that I completely agree with this perspective, I respect your ideas. Of course, I agree with you about just letting this go, it's just a case of kids being kids - nothing worse.

By the way, I can't let the dogs out because I don't live close enough to visit several times daily, so to suggest that I am somehow to blame for this is not a reasonable position to take.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">