• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dreamer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dupton

What is the name of your state? California

California is also a "at will" state. I worked for a company for almost 10 years.
I decided to relocate with my son and was able to transfer to a lesser job for the same wage. I worked there for almost 6 weeks and was fired. Someone mentioned to me that there may be a age thing, I am 56 years old, 57 next month. Has anyone ever heard of something like that? California is pretty high in rent so my adult son and I split cost making it easier for both of us. His ex-wife re-married to moved to Orange County as well as the company he works for and that all came together. I've been on umemployment for about six months and am finding it difficult to find a job in the same field. My benefits are gone in a couple of weeks so I guess I might be working a much lesser job.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dupton said:
What is the name of your state? California

California is also a "at will" state. I worked for a company for almost 10 years.
I decided to relocate with my son and was able to transfer to a lesser job for the same wage. I worked there for almost 6 weeks and was fired. Someone mentioned to me that there may be a age thing, I am 56 years old, 57 next month. Has anyone ever heard of something like that? California is pretty high in rent so my adult son and I split cost making it easier for both of us. His ex-wife re-married to moved to Orange County as well as the company he works for and that all came together. I've been on umemployment for about six months and am finding it difficult to find a job in the same field. My benefits are gone in a couple of weeks so I guess I might be working a much lesser job.

My response:

You said, "Someone mentioned to me that there may be a age thing, I am 56 years old, 57 next month. Has anyone ever heard of something like that?"

Heard of what? An age thing with your former employer, or that people who are 56 generally turn 57 at some point in time?

IAAL

Beth3

Has anyone every heard of age discrimination? Sure.

You need considerably more to pursue a legal claim other than somebody mentioned to you this may be an age thing. What reason were you given for being terminated? What occured at work that indicates your age was a factor?

It seems unlikely your employer would facilitate your transfer to another site just to fire you because of your age. It would have been far easier simply to say there were no relo opportunities.

D

dupton

What I meant was, that at a certain age the "at will" thing doens't apply.

D

dupton

Well, I've got this other situation. I applied to a position at Nordstrom's, we set up a interview today. One of the pre-interview questions asked was, "Can they run a credit check on me?" Is that legal? She stated that they just want to see if I pay on time. The position I applied for is Customer Service. State: California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dupton said:
Well, I've got this other situation. I applied to a position at Nordstrom's, we set up a interview today. One of the pre-interview questions asked was, "Can they run a credit check on me?" Is that legal? She stated that they just want to see if I pay on time. The position I applied for is Customer Service. State: California

My response:

Ask them, "Will you be paying me $40.00 per hour, or does the position require a Secret Clearance?"

If the answer to either part of that question is "No", then you ask them, "Then, what the hell do you think, Squirrelly? Your job is a $5.50 per hour job, and you want me to give up my privacy for that? Who does Nordstrom think they are - - Lockheed Corporation, or something? Screw you, lady!!"

That's what you tell 'em. And then walk out. You'll get the same money at some Mom and Pop boutique in a strip mall - - without the credit check bullcrap. Besides, why the hell are you applying for a paying job IF your payments were always on time? Obviously, Nordstrom isn't going to make you rich, and help you to pay down the "national debt". Sometimes, these corporations make me laugh. They think they're the only game in town.

IAAL

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I do not necessarily disagree with IAAL's response, to answer your question literally, it is quite legal, and not even particularly uncommon, for an employer to run a credit check, particularly in the retail and finance industries.

D

dupton

Good Answer

Hey thanks, afterall, I'm not applying for credit, I need a job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not need to approve their running a credit check if you do not want to. However, if you refuse to approve it, they may LEGALLY decline to consider you for employment.

Your decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">