• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laptop on ebay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

papaw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada.

I purchased a laptop on ebay. The seller clearly states that this "a brand new computer that he purchased last year but never used it, box was opened for inspection only". I sent a USPS money order for $700 to a P.O.Box and he sent me the computer back thru the mail.

When it arrived it had the lid cracked across the hinges due to improper packing, missing the 3 1/2" drive, bios is password protected, the esc key is stuck, rubber feet on bottom missing, screen scratched, no manual, no software, service tag ripped off and hard drive was formatted two days before shipped.

I sent him a e-mail telling him of the condition with no reply. I requested his information from ebay and called the number and they never heard of him before.

Upon doing a little research I managed to track down his real phone number and called to ask what he wanted to do about this. His mom just said she will give him the message.

I have sent several e-mails over several days and he finally wrote back telling me he has proof he sent me the computer, I bought it "as is" (which it never said that) and has filed a complaint with the local sheriff for me harassing him.

He lives in Georgia and I have a good friend who lives about 60 miles away from his house. While I dont want her to go see him as it might be dangerous, can she file in my behalf in court to settle this?

Seems like fraud to me as it is not even close to the description.

What do you think?

You Are Guilty

Being that you used a USPS MO to pay, you may be able to file a claim with the PO Postal Inspectors for the mail fraud you're alleging. Go down to your local PO and ask them for the forms. They don't take kindly to kids pulling scams through the mail.

JETX

You Are Guilty said:
Being that you used a USPS MO to pay, you may be able to file a claim with the PO Postal Inspectors for the mail fraud you're alleging. Go down to your local PO and ask them for the forms. They don't take kindly to kids pulling scams through the mail.
Actually, that is NOT correct. The use of a USPS money order to make payment does not constitute mail fraud.
However, if the item was shipped to the OP via USPS, THEN that could be mail fraud.
Finally, unless the US Inspection Service has mutltiple complaints on this person, there is very little that they will do (other than take a report). They are too busy going after larger 'fish' then to take the time for this 'minnow'.

Some options for the OP to consider:
1) Contact the local police (where the shipper lives) and try to file a fraud/theft complaint against him.
2) Contact the local media where the shipper lives and talk with a consumer reporter. See if you can interest them into an 'internet consumer watch' with a local flavor.
3) Finally, consider contacting the small claims court where the seller lives and filing a small claims suit against him.

At the least, I would write him a letter threatening the above actions.

However, one potential problem.... you say you called and talked with his mother. How old is this seller??? Are they a legal adult, or minor??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">