• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dontex

What is the name of your state?

Texas

I was in a three car accident, not my fault. While contacting lawyers to determine who I might retain should I decide I need one, I happened to contact the lawyer retained by the second driver who was involved and not at fault.

My questions:

Although I was the most seriously injured of all parties, am I at a disadvantage if he has an attorney and I don't?

Are there advantages/disadvantages to retaining the same attorney as the other driver?

Any thoughts appreciated.

JETX

dontex said:
Although I was the most seriously injured of all parties, am I at a disadvantage if he has an attorney and I don't?
Unless the party you are talking about will be an adversary in YOUR potential suit, there is no REAL advantage or disadvantage if he has an attorney to represent his claim against another (3rd) party. However, it is more likely that his representation may expedite or improve his claim.

Are there advantages/disadvantages to retaining the same attorney as the other driver?
HUGE disadvantage as the attorney COULD be in a confict of interest, especially if the circumstances change and his client is subsequently made a part of any lawsuit you MIGHT file.

D

dontex

Thanks much

I see the other party as an adversary only in the sense that we're both after the same pool of insurance money.

Don't see myself filing suit against his client; the third vehicle was clearly at fault.

JETX

dontex said:
I see the other party as an adversary only in the sense that we're both after the same pool of insurance money.

Don't see myself filing suit against his client; the third vehicle was clearly at fault.
Okay, do what you want. I clearly have 'no dog in this fight' and don't see any benefit in arguing with you over the matter.

D

dontex

Not arguing.

Just responding to your comments.

If you see the facts differently or would take a different approach, I welcome your opinion.

JETX

dontex said:
Just responding to your comments.
And exactly what in my post gave you any idea that I needed a response??

"Okay, do what you want. I clearly have 'no dog in this fight' and don't see any benefit in arguing with you over the matter."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">