• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit a dog with car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

what happened

What is the name of your state? Florida
I hit a dog with my car on the way home from work. The dog ran out in the road in front of me chasing another dog. I called the police and they found the owner and gave me their phone number and name. The police told me they had to talk the owner of the dog into taking it to a vet which I am glad that they did so hopefully the dog will be OK but how do I go about getting my car repaired? :confused:

JETX

what happened said:
how do I go about getting my car repaired?
Unless you can show that the dogs owners are liable, possibly due to negligence in letting their dog run loose, you will probably have to turn this in on your insurance.

W

what happened

negligence and damage

Yes one neighbor stop at the coner where I was waiting for the police and said he almost hit the dog a couple of times himself. Also the damage to my car was pretty bad I will be getting an estimate on Monday but the police guessed at $1,000. This is probally true unfortunitly with all the plastic used these days. Now for the dog he is doing better and the owner said the vet did not even take x-rays unless he starts to feel worse. Yes I contacted the owner and nothing good came out of it except for the status of the dog. She thinks I should pay for the vet bills and I think she should pay to repair my car. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

carofl93

Call animal control in your area and find out the leash law...or you can probably find out from the county or city courts. As the owner of a very large dog I am extremely careful about opening doors and gates on my property because I know that if a newer car were to hit my 100 lbs plus of dog it would probably total out the car. Glad the dog is okay and I hope that you can get your damages taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">