• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for dog bite?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heykat

What is the name of your state? New York. I am a co-owner of a piece of property with three others. One of my land partners owns a dog who bit a woman pretty badly on our property. We have insurance. Are all partners equally liable in the case of a lawsuit? Should I contact an attorney immediately?

O

OC3902

If you and/or the other partner(s) are served with a summons and complaint (lawsuit papers), let the insurance company know immediately, and if the insurance policy provides coverage, the insurance company will normally retain an attorney for the owner. If you and/or the other partner(s) are sued, and the insurance policy doesn't provide coverage, then you/the other partner(s) who are sued should immediately seek an attorney at that time so that a response to the complaint/lawsuit can be timely filed with the court. I cannot say if all the partners would be equally liable for this incident ... this is a question for a local New York attorney specializing in dog bites/premises liability or personal injury, and there may also be an issue of New York partnership law. Hopefully you and the other partners won't get sued, and in the meantime, make sure that the insurance policy you have does cover you for this type of incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">