• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intake Hearing for my 18 year old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MDMombo

What is the name of your state? Maryland

About one week prior to my son turning 18, he committed a petty theft at his place of employment. He fraudulently changed the price of an item and then paid for the item at it's lowered price. The price was lowered by $25.00. He was approached by the store management and admitted to the action and has paid restitution. My son has never been in trouble before and has absolutely no criminal history. He is now scheduled for an Intake Hearing and I am wondering if we should hire a lawyer and have him present with us at that time. Since he was a minor at the time of the incident and it was his first 'run in' with the authorities, I don't want to assume that we DO or DO NOT need an attorney present. I've been advised (personally) to not bring an attorney because it would look pushy and that this particular situation doesn't warrant such an action. I am hoping for some advice that will help me with this decision.

M

MDMombo

I am also curious if he would be charged as a minor, because even though he is now 18 years old, the incident occurred when he was still 17. Is there any benefit in questioning the decision to charge him with 'theft' as opposed to 'fraud'? He altered the item's price and paid the lower amount, but I don't want to open a can of worms by asking the wrong questions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">