• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A fellow drove over me as I lay on the road...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brundage

What is the name of your state? Washington

A driver came upon the accident and I was unconsacious on the roadway. He slowed but then elected not to stop and drove over me.

This occured a few minutes after the first accident as other drivers who stopped tried to help me or were on cell phones to report the first collision.

My question,,, Since this fellow had a notation on his license requiring proof of financial responsibility, could he claim bankruptcy to get out of paying any judgement I may get upon him for damages for bodily injury or
pain and suffering?"

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

brundage said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

A driver came upon the accident and I was unconsacious on the roadway. He sowed but then elected not to stop and drove over me.

My response:

Hey, that's a neat trick!

He must have run over your "education/spelling bone".

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Is this a homework question?

Do you have uninsured motorest coverage in your policy?
More info needed for any advice.

B

brundage

I admit that the subject of this thread is one that bothers me. I get nervous just thinking about the accident. So,,, My apology for the spelling on the original post. And No. This is not some "homework question."

This is an incident that nearly killed me. My wife found out about it as she drove up to the accident scene and noticed my 1966 Barracuda crashed on the roadway and a six to eight foot circle of blood where I had been laying before transfer to the hospital. I have trouble thinking about it. Let alone considering it a laughing matter. It left my left mangled for life and paralyzed as well as breaking the leg (mulitple places,) the hip, pelvis, knee, clavicle, hand, ribs, jaw, facial bones and skull.

And that is just the bone damage.

Yes. I had insurance. But the question was,,, If a judgement were made against the guy who drove over me, could he file bankruptcy and get out of it?

One lawyer said he would not consider taking a civil action against the driver because he had the notation of requireing proof of financial responsibility on his license. The lawyer said that would mean the guy has little money and could file bankruptcy so I would collect nothing. Therefore the lawyer could not make any money and he would not work on a case against that driver.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">