• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone backed up into my parked car!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ewang9394

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi,

I'm in CA. This morning some guy backed up into my car when it was parked on the street outside my house. My neighbor had woke me up and explained what happened. This guy was driving a rental truck. I took down his driver's license number, phone number, address, and also all the information of the rental truck company. I called AAA to file a claim just to be on the safe side and also called the rental truck company and told them what happened.

The driver was unable to show me a photo driver's license at the time and he said that he had left it at home (BS), but the rental agreement had the license number and all the other info that I had written down. He told me that he will come back and show me the license later today.

He later showed up saying that he wants to do a CASH settlement and told me NOT to tell my insurance company. I'm assuming he probably doesn't have insurance. He later told me that the license that he used wasn't even his. He said that he doesn't have legal residence in CA.

My question is, what do I do now??? He had purchased some sort of CDW from the rental truck company but it doesn't cover my damages. My car was parked and my neighbor was the witness that saw the whole thing.

What should I do at this point???

Notify the rental truck company and keep your insurance company updated. If you have full coverage, all you'll be out is your deductible. Do you have a Collision Deductible Waiver? A CDW will waive your deductible if the person who hit you is uninsured. Your car was parked, so you're in no way at-fault for the accident, so your insurance shouldn't go up.

Your insurance company will handle tracking the guy down to get their money back. If you have to pay your deductible, and AAA gets the guy to pay up, you'll get the deductible back.

JETX

ewang9394 said:
What should I do at this point???
The correct answer to your situation is what do YOU want to do?? Do you want to protect yourself, or to protect the other driver.

If you want to protect yourself, contact the police and file a report on the accident. Then, contact YOUR insurance company, explain the circumstances and give them all the information. Follow whatever instructions the insurance company tells you.

However, if you want to protect this stranger and leave yourself open to being 'screwed', do as he has suggested.
Don't formalize the incident with a police report (easier for him to deny later).
Don't contact your insurance company (as they would/could have the assets and knowledge to pursue him if he 'stiffs' them).
And most importantly take the word of a stranger without a drivers license, without insurance, without ANY legal residence and without ANY assurance that he will pay you..... that he will pay you. Especially, if he has already shown that he has no qualms about lying to the rental company about his license and insurance. Yep, this certainly sounds like the kind of guy that I would trust to pay!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">