• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

profiled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mscott300

What is the name of your state? Iowa.
I have a finance degree that I can not use because I feel no one will hire me due to bad credit. Admittedly I have a lot of debt and defaulted loans--if anyone needs a job right now it's me. But my poor credit rating does not address my job competence. I'm still a professional.How can a company legally penalize a person for activity they have not done nor have in their past? Has anyone else felt as though companies were profiling applicants and turning them down due to credit issues. Having a lot of debt does not make someone "of criminal intent". Rich people commit crimes and embezzle also.
Hope to hear from someone soon.

Beth3

So if you receive a number of posts from individuals who agree with you, where does that get you? Your situation won't have changed.

Like it or not, employers have the right to use credit history in determining whether you are a desirable applicant. However an employer only does so for jobs where they feel credit history is a relevant factor and that's much more likely to be the case for jobs in the financial field. If you don't mind some practical advice, what you need to do is find a job (at this point, ANY job) where your credit history is not a factor, address your debt and credit problems, and then start looking for positions in your chosen field. Good luck.

M

mscott300

profiled response to beth3

Thanks Beth3 for your quick response to my situation. I do currently have a bit of a job as a night auditor. It just pays the bills, but that's it. There's no money to get a jump on savings or paying down my huge debt.How do you think bankruptcy would affect my hiring status? At this point, I don't know if a clean slate would do wonders for me or ruin my ability to get hired. Just trying tothink out all the options. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Beth3

Sorry, I haven't worked in the financial field so I can't offer an opinion how a bankruptcy would affect your employment status in that field. Career-wise, I espect it would cause you the same problems though.

What you need to do (if you haven't already) is (a) meet with a debt counselor and (b) talk to a career counselor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">