• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining recommendation/layoff letters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robisondm

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I was recently laid off from my job due to outsourcing of the work I was doing. The Human Resources Manager and my immediate supervisor both met with me and told me if there was any way they could help me after laying me off to let them know. On two different occasions I called my immediate supervisor and asked for a letter of recommendation that I could send with resumes to possible future employers. Both times he told me he would write up a recommendation letter for me but never did. I also had called the Human Resources Manager to request one from her, but she never returned my phone call and never sent me one either. I realize they don't have to give me a recommendation letter if they don't want to, but is there anything illegal about stating to a former employee that they would give one and then deliberately not following through. Even if it is not illegal, at least it's not ethical. Why not just tell me they don't want to do this instead of ignoring me or stringing me along?

One other question: I also want to get retraining so I can eventually get into a different line of work, and so I am considering applying for student financial aid. I need a letter from my former employer stating that I was laid off to turn in with my financial aid application. If the former employer does not really want to help me in any way, can they legally refuse to write me this letter? Also, instead of just calling on the phone to request a proof-of-layoff letter, would it be best if I send them a written letter requesting it (and keep a copy of this request) as proof that I have requested one so they cannot as easily ignore my request?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds back to this letter with helpful information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not illegal. And to be perfectly honest with you, if you sent me a letter of reference along with your resume, I would completely disregard it and I might even think twice about whether or not to have you in to interview. I don't much care for letters of reference even when I asked an applicant to supply reference information - it's too easy for letters to be faked. I'd think it was somewhat presumptuous of you to send along a reference letter before I even told you I wanted an interview. Many HR managers I know (and I know a lot) feel the same way.

Rather than getting upset about their failure to provide a letter that is unlikely to help you and may even hurt your chances, it would make more sense for you to confirm with them that they will be available for telephone interviews when and if a prospective employer asks for references. Most employers I know would MUCH prefer to be able to speak to someone directly and ask specific questions, rather than a letter.

I'm working offsite today so I can't access all of my source material, but I believe that in your state your employer has no legal obligation to provide you with any written information as to your termination. Some states (not many, but some) require that upon your WRITTEN request, the employer must provide what's called a "service letter", which includes the dates of your employment and the reason for your termination. But as I said, I do not think your state is one of them. If I find I am mistaken when I am able to get back into my office, I'll let you know tomorrow.

That being said, I can't imagine why your employer would refuse to provide such a letter if you explain why you want it. However, it will likely not be a high priority item for them and I imagine they'll do it when it is convenient for them, not when it's convenient for you. Yes, it would probably be better for you to provide a written request, but not for the reason you suggest. (If your state doesn't require service letters it doesn't matter whether you can prove you requested it or not; they still don't have to provide it.)

It would be better to put your request in writing because:
1.) If I am mistaken and your state does require service letters, you are almost certainly required to put your request in writing before your employer is required to take any notice of your request.
2.) Some people remember better in writing. A busy person may with the best of intentions tell you over the phone that they will provide a letter, but when they get down to the work in front of them completely and innocently (I mean with no intent to mislead you) forget about it.
3.) A copy of the letter will serve as proof TO THE FINANCIAL AID PEOPLE that yes, you have requested the letter, and may grant you some slack on timing because of it.

R

robisondm

Thanks to cbg

:) State: Oklahoma

Thanks to cbg for your helpful reply regarding my question on obtaining recommendation/layoff letters. I will follow your advice and not bother with recommendation letters unless a prospective employer specifically asks for one.

As to getting a layoff letter, I'll do my best to obtain one by means of a written request and just hope for the best.

Maybe getting laid off will eventually turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've had the opportunity to check and OK does NOT require service letters. However, as I said, I see no reason why your employer would object to providing such a letter as long as you respectfully, politely and nicely explain why you need it.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">