• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about the rights of defendants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkglass

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a question about the rights of a defendant in a criminal matter. My stepdaughters biological mother was charged with three felonies, in October of 2002. Since then she has, pled innocent, had a change of venue, pled guilty, presentence investigation, continued her sentencing hearing 8 times,withdrew her plea of guilty, and now a jury trial is scheduled for November 8th. My question is, how long can her attornies prolong this matter, and can the jury trial be continued the day it is supposed to happen (this is what her attorney did eight times with her sentencing hearing, the morning of the hearing he would call the prosecuting attorney and ask to continue it, since the prosecutor would have to drive 35 on this change of venue he always agrees.)

Happy Trails

jkglass said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a question about the rights of a defendant in a criminal matter. My stepdaughters biological mother was charged with three felonies, in October of 2002. Since then she has, pled innocent, had a change of venue, pled guilty, presentence investigation, continued her sentencing hearing 8 times,withdrew her plea of guilty, and now a jury trial is scheduled for November 8th. My question is, how long can her attornies prolong this matter, and can the jury trial be continued the day it is supposed to happen (this is what her attorney did eight times with her sentencing hearing, the morning of the hearing he would call the prosecuting attorney and ask to continue it, since the prosecutor would have to drive 35 on this change of venue he always agrees.)
**Duplicate post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">