• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense for marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kada

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin (but had troubles in Illinois)
I was visiting from Wisconsin and was arrested in Illinois for possession of cannabis (about a gram, maybe 1.5) and parapharnalia (2 pipes, one was clean) while walking with a friend outside the back of a movie theater in Lake county Illinois. There were 5 cops who were involved and the one who made the arrest seemed to be in training. I didn't have my car keys on me at the time and they took my friend to my car and they broke in so he could look for them and told him "don't tell anyone we're doing this." I was never read my rights and they told me that I wasn't being charged with anything. My record is completely clean and the only thing I have ever done in the past is I had a couple speeding tickets 5 or 6 years ago. I am really worried that I won't get into grad school because of this!
My questions are: Is there any chance that I won't be charged later when I go to trial? How does that work? Is illinois strict with marijuana? I am applying for jobs and grad schools and they ask "do you have any charges against you pending?" do I have to answer yes at this point? If I am not charged, will this still be on my record? Do I need to hire a lawyer for this? :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">