• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation during construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annonroof

What is the name of your state? California
My condo association needs to do work on the building that involves extensive work in my unit. The work involves wall removal and other major work and will take several weeks. I have no objection but would like to be reimbursed for re-location during that time. The association is reluctant to take on the additional expense. What are my rights?

HomeGuru

annonroof said:
What is the name of your state? California
My condo association needs to do work on the building that involves extensive work in my unit. The work involves wall removal and other major work and will take several weeks. I have no objection but would like to be reimbursed for re-location during that time. The association is reluctant to take on the additional expense. What are my rights?

**A: why the need for extensive work?

A

annonroof

reason for work

The building was inadequately soundproofed & is being upgraded through out. This involves mainly work on wall & ceilings of lower units. I have a top floor corner unit with only a bit of common wall so I am not directly affected by noise.

Ex. 1) there is some possibility of removing my floor to sound proof ceiling for my lower neighbors. 2) the bit of common wall might benefit me slightly by being soundproofed but I think the cost & inconvenience (repairs happening to a schedule that I have no say in) would out weigh the benefits as I have a home based business & would not be able to work.

Some friends who have tenants also would like to be re-imbursed for any relocation of their tenants or to opt out of the construction.

in both cases, the main issue is the timing of repairs. We would like to be cooperative, but feel that we can only work this out if we have some say in when work is to be done.

HomeGuru

annonroof said:
The building was inadequately soundproofed & is being upgraded through out. This involves mainly work on wall & ceilings of lower units. I have a top floor corner unit with only a bit of common wall so I am not directly affected by noise.

Ex. 1) there is some possibility of removing my floor to sound proof ceiling for my lower neighbors. 2) the bit of common wall might benefit me slightly by being soundproofed but I think the cost & inconvenience (repairs happening to a schedule that I have no say in) would out weigh the benefits as I have a home based business & would not be able to work.

Some friends who have tenants also would like to be re-imbursed for any relocation of their tenants or to opt out of the construction.

in both cases, the main issue is the timing of repairs. We would like to be cooperative, but feel that we can only work this out if we have some say in when work is to be done.
**A: this is a tough situation that must be negotiated. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">