• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed... 4,200, civil or criminal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

casgraphics

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tx.

Purchased something on verbal and paper agreement, item from individual, with signature. Cost 5,000 pd 800 cash, have receipt, verbal agreement would pay rest of balance when I had the money. Received letter from previous owner of which 2600 is due in Sept. then received call from seller that he would like the item back. I do not want to return item back for fear of losing payment already made.. Should I go ahead and pay the 2,600 and wait for a letter that ask for remainder balance is due. Or how soon would I have to pay the complete balance?

Previous seller aquired a 3rd party individual to help to take the item back.Both ind's came when I was not at my residence hoping to find the item but it was not at this location and instead took another item from my yard. I have not pd anymore money on it because it is not due yet(Sept. 2,600). Owner and 3rd party is calling it a theft.

Is this a civil matter for small claims court or a criminal matter against me? How much should I pay and how soon?

Thanks

JETX

casgraphics said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tx.

Purchased something on verbal and paper agreement, item from individual, with signature. Cost 5,000 pd 800 cash, have receipt, verbal agreement would pay rest of balance when I had the money. Received letter from previous owner of which 2600 is due in Sept. then received call from seller that he would like the item back. I do not want to return item back for fear of losing payment already made.. Should I go ahead and pay the 2,600 and wait for a letter that ask for remainder balance is due. Or how soon would I have to pay the complete balance?

Previous seller aquired a 3rd party individual to help to take the item back.Both ind's came when I was not at my residence hoping to find the item but it was not at this location and instead took another item from my yard. I have not pd anymore money on it because it is not due yet(Sept. 2,600). Owner and 3rd party is calling it a theft.

Is this a civil matter for small claims court or a criminal matter against me? How much should I pay and how soon?

Thanks
It sounds to me like your question is more of an ethical/practical one than anything to do with the law.
However, I will give you a generic answer.... file theft charges for their taking your 'thing' without permission.

N

NickBBB

What is this thing you speak of and what the hell did you buy? Furthermore if the item is lets say illegal, I seriously doubt this will appear in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">