• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace scuffle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gagsta_858

What is the name of your state?
Well I am actually in BC, Canada

If you know of a Canadian such site I would much appreciate it if you could forward it to me.

Please give me your advice as it may apply to me.

5 years ago I got in a scuffle outside of the Union Hall at my Longshore job.
I have to recollection of the actual event as I was extremely intoxicated blacked out with the blows to my head.

I was temporarily dismissed and so was the other person. However 3 months later the other person was allowed back to work and charges are pressed on me. We went to court and after 4 years the other person dropped the case as is was going no where. Leaving me nowhere too, the Union won't let me back. I was not found guilty, so both of us were equally at fault. Can they let one person back and not the other if both are to blame? Any advice will be much appreciated

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Canadian employment law and US employment law are not the same, and no one here knows Canadian law.

In the US, what you describe would not be illegal unless you had a VALID reason to believe that you were not allowed back and the other person was BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you were over 40.

Your being intoxicated would be a VALID, LEGAL reason to refuse to bring you back to work. No employer has to put up with someone being intoxicated at work.

Canadian law may be different, or it may not. I do not know off the top of my head of any Canadian sites like this one. Speak to a local attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">